Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had installed differential rock guards from Purple Cranium on my front and rear differentials on my 2012 JKUR (these utilize only the bottom 5 bolts to install). No surprise, I tried to install the guards without completely removing the diff covers and found I had a very small leak in the front cover.

I have ordered lube locker gaskets to fix the leak but decided to check the lube level just in case. So I removed the front diff fill plug while being parked on level ground and to my surprise when I removed the plug lube ran out like nobody's business. This thing must have been waaayy overfilled from the factory. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if so is this something folks should check in case lube might come out of the vent hose from the diff being too full?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not at the rate it came out of this one. It is supposed to slightly run out, not fill the hole. You could never fill it that full unless you parked on an incline, or pumped it in. I've been wheelin' and doing my own maintenance since '72 and have never seen one this full.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I think he's saying fluid came out of the fill hole, not the drain plug. Sounds like it was very very much over filled, lucky you it didn't run out of the breather hose and all over your engine! that would have been a miserable mess to clean up

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
fireron said:
Not at the rate it came out of this one. It is supposed to slightly run out, not fill the hole. You could never fill it that full unless you parked on an incline, or pumped it in. I've been wheelin' and doing my own maintenance since '72 and have never seen one this full.
Sounds like the rig was submarined and thats a combination of fluid and water. Or a cheap joint like walmart "toped off" all fluids as part of there deluxe screw your car service.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is a new Rubi, less than 500 miles on it. All diff fluid and it came as a real shock to see that much come out at the fill plug. I have added a Rockhard front bumper and Warn 9.5 xps winch so it sits a little low in front. So I leveled the stance so the frame was level before starting and diff lube still came out the fill plug. Very strange to me. Just thought I would mention this due to the unexpected amount of lube present. Performed this on several vehicles over the years and have just never seen one this full.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts