Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure about why there seems to be such negative opinions about all terrain tires in general. I feel that if you dont rock crawl and hardcore mud run, an A/T tire is suitable. I have run both tread types and found an A/T tire to be quite capable for the dailey driver amd weekend warrior. A/Ts usually are least expensive also and longer wearing. A/T tires usually are superior in winter conditions as well. I love a baja claw or bogger as much as the next guy but I cant justify the cost on a dailey driver. Ive done some pretty challenging trips in jeeps over the years, and an A/T tire appears to be all the average jeeper needs. Does everybody on WF rock crawl? Or am I just an old fashion ******* wheeler who uses the family jeep as a do it all suv. My jeep is a Long haul, around town, trailer towing, hunting, geo cache box on wheels that replaced my pathfinder perfectly...minus the leather and v-8.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
I found that good A/Ts do all of the things you ask of them.. but when you really need M/Ts you'll be cursing yourself for not having them. If you don't push your Jeep hard enough to need them then A/Ts will work for you 99% of the time.

I had BFG A/Ts on my last Jeep and it did fine with everything I threw at it. Then I tried to traverse 20 inches of mud and buried myself up to the doors. I was getting some grip but not enough to get myself out. If I had boggers (or even aggressive M/Ts), I'm confident I could have pulled out of it.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
I found that good A/Ts do all of the things you ask of them.. but when you really need M/Ts you'll be cursing yourself for not having them. If you don't push your Jeep hard enough to need them then A/Ts will work for you 99% of the time.

I had BFG A/Ts on my last Jeep and it did fine with everything I threw at it. Then I tried to traverse 20 inches of mud and buried myself up to the doors. I was getting some grip but not enough to get myself out. If I had boggers (or even aggressive M/Ts), I'm confident I could have pulled out of it.
MTs can be worthless in snow too. It depends more on the tire being sniped for snow traction. Goodyear Duratracs for example are a aggressive tread AT tire and are also snow rated "sniped".

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can definitely relate to that type of event. I just dont do that enough anymore. Also, I kind of enjoy the occasional recovery efforts...seriously.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
The durotrac is kind of a hybrid, amd at a good price too.
It's probably one of the best AT tires to be made in recent years.

A pic o mine :angel:

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
The Duratracs are a great tire. Really do seem to give the best compromise between the two.

That said, I don't drive in snow at all (or rain that often) so I'll stick with the more aggressive (loud, wobbly, wear faster, etc.) M/Ts.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ESP said:
It's probably one of the best AT tires to be made in recent years.

A pic o mine :angel:
They kind of remind me of an arctic claw snow tire crossed with a GY wrangler TD. Ive havent used them yet.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
The Duratracs are a great tire. Really do seem to give the best compromise between the two.

That said, I don't drive in snow at all (or rain that often) so I'll stick with the more aggressive (loud, wobbly, wear faster, etc.) M/Ts.
I drive in snow maybe 1 day a year and wheel in all terrains 364 of the other days. The Duratracs are fantastic on all surfaces in all kinds of slop. The snow rating for them is just the icing on the cake.

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
Nothing wrong with a Agressive AT.. You still give up the offroad perfomance of a MT but in turn gain better on road characteristics in most cases. I haven't seen much if any bashing of Agressive AT's around here.. In the end it's all about what you want and or need..

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
denisbaldwin said:

Im in Maine and the weather is anythimg but predictable. I use to run M/Ts on all my TJs, but they were never my Dailey driver like my 4door.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Nothing wrong with a Agressive AT.. You still give up the offroad perfomance of a MT but in turn gain better on road characteristics in most cases.
Very subjective. You'll easily find more ATs on the trails than MTs. Not bashing just facts. Are you still driving the Cherokee?

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
Im in Maine and the weather is anythimg but predictable. I use to run M/Ts on all my TJs, but they were never my Dailey driver like my 4door.
There are quite a few good DD/WW MT's out there.. Just remember just cause it's a DD doesn't mean you need to forget about running a MT.. It's merely a preference.. Cooper STT, Mickey Thomson MTZ, The BFG KM2's (if you sip the center lugs), are at the top of my mind when it comes to excellent options for DD/WW MT's

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Just noticed your sig XJ, did you get another jeep?

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
Very subjective. You'll easily find more ATs on the trails than MTs. Not bashing just facts. Are you still driving the Cherokee?
I don't.. :( . It's had problems I decided not to invest in fixing it and pay off my bills first.. then buy another. It is a fact that more 4x4's with AT's showing up on the trails these days.. Alot more people are wheeling there DD's it seems as well.. Or at least that is my impression.. An agressive AT gives you great on road traction while still giving you good offroad performance.. Im just not gonna disregard a MT as a good DD/WW option.. See tires I posted in above link..

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
XJ Knight said:
There are quite a few good DD/WW MT's out there.. Just remember just cause it's a DD doesn't mean you need to forget about running a MT.. It's merely a preference.. Cooper STT, Mickey Thomson MTZ, The BFG KM2's (if you sip the center lugs), are at the top of my mind when it comes to excellent options for DD/WW MT's
Even with those fine choices, I dont think an M/T would make a nice choice for those occasional six hour interstate trips to Boston etc that I drive. Ive also found, at least in past personal experiences from TSLs and Baja Claws, the vibrate your fillings loose effect gets old quick. Im also weary of M/Ts for treadware factors. Ive spent 15oo on a set of tires amd only got a year out of em. Gets expensive

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
pkmcd99 said:
What kind of mileage does the durotrac last for?
Does anyone have long term estimates of expected mileage, even if not warrantied for said mileage

1 - 20 of 33 Posts