Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was considering Teraflex for these 3, but can't bring myself to drop nearly $1,200 for the trio.

Was looking for recommendations on an adjustable set up that maybe wasn't so heavy duty or expensive, but still very capable, proven and easy to install. I have a '12 JKU with 2.5" lift.

Would love to hear what you guys gave used with success.

·
Super Moderator
6,779 Posts
SteerSmart and TeraFlex are both nice, and both around the same price point. I have TeraFlex track bars and am happy with them. For the tie rod I took the advice of people on this forum and went more HD, with a Fusion 4x4 Tie Rod. The Fusion 4x4 stuff is a lot beefier than either the TF or SS stuff, and the pair (Tie Rod and Drag Link) are only a hundred bucks or so more than the TF / SS stuff. But what size tires are you running? The Fusion stuff may be way more than you need (we are running 37's).
Core 4x4 makes a good track bar. But I don't think they make a Tie Rod or Drag Link. SuperLift makes a low cost Track Bar, it was all the rage here a while back.

By the way, a number of vendors on here will give you a discount. Try Krawl Off Road, Quadratec, or AOR / Allen to start with.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
I would say that the combo of a Doetsch Drag Link and Tie Rod combo with a Core 4x4 track bar would be really tough to beat.

https://doetschoffroad.com/products...o-drill-understeer-kit-with-1-ton-offset-ends

https://www.allensoffroad.com/suspe...O-JK/Jeep-JK-2007-Present-Adj-Front-Track-Bar

About $700 for both and excellent performance. The aluminum Tie Rod is a huge step up and can take punishment that will end your day if you are running steel. 1 ton TRE's on the TR and DL and a Johnny Joint on the track bar. Good stuff.

·
Registered
35 Posts
piecemeal i did the jks trackbar, steer smart tie rod and metalcloak drag link. all in about $980.
(rancho 2in sport lift)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SteerSmart and TeraFlex are both nice, and both around the same price point. I have TeraFlex track bars and am happy with them. For the tie rod I took the advice of people on this forum and went more HD, with a Fusion 4x4 Tie Rod. The Fusion 4x4 stuff is a lot beefier than either the TF or SS stuff, and the pair (Tie Rod and Drag Link) are only a hundred bucks or so more than the TF / SS stuff. But what size tires are you running? The Fusion stuff may be way more than you need (we are running 37's).
Core 4x4 makes a good track bar. But I don't think they make a Tie Rod or Drag Link. SuperLift makes a low cost Track Bar, it was all the rage here a while back.

By the way, a number of vendors on here will give you a discount. Try Krawl Off Road, Quadratec, or AOR / Allen to start with.
Thanks for the recommendations! I'm on 34's(BF Ko2s) with a 2.5" lift.

I tried one of the sponsors and they hooked me up with a 5% break, which is cool, but we're still just shy of $1,200 wich is too much for me. That's why I figured I'd try and look at other brands, other than teraflex. Likewise, I probably will only be offroad a few time a year. So I want something that could handle it when I need it, but it doesn't need to be super HD since it's more of a daily driver.

·
Super Moderator
6,779 Posts
It is up to you. But if funds are tight I would buy a pair of track bars from Core 4x4 through Allen, and get the other parts as you need / can afford them.
If you want all three, I would look at what Pressurized posted links to. $545 for the Tie Rod and Drag Link is about as cheap as you are going to find quality parts. Add a Core 4x4 Track Bar to that for $200 more and you are good to go. If that is still too high, buy the TB now and get the TR / DL later. Or the TR / DL now and the TB later.
In my experience, TeraFlex and SteerSmart are less likely to offer big discounts on their stuff, especially SteerSmart. So if you want the big name brands it isn't going to be as cheap. They do sell nice stuff, though.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Was considering Teraflex for these 3, but can't bring myself to drop nearly $1,200 for the trio.

Was looking for recommendations on an adjustable set up that maybe wasn't so heavy duty or expensive, but still very capable, proven and easy to install. I have a '12 JKU with 2.5" lift.

Would love to hear what you guys gave used with success.
I also have a 2.5 lift, 35" tires and went with the track bar drop brackets $119 front $80 rear. Added the Steersmarts attenuator ~$180. The rest of the front end is stock at 77k miles with out issues and wheel every chance I get.

Reactions: MaCheFai

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Buy once, cry once. I had the TF monsterbar on the last rig and that is basically a one time purchase. You’ll never wear it out. ASMOF I have one on the way for the new rig. For the tie rod I got the Ruff Stuff kit with the 1ton TREs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. Balancing cost and durability, it looks like I may go the aluminum route.

However, I noticed that the RuffStuff, Doetsch and the StinkyFab all ask for a max of 3.75-4.5" of backspacing. My Wheels are 4.89.

Since I'm new to all of this, can someone help me understand why these possibly won't fit? Or better yet, how to help make them fit?

·
Super Moderator
6,779 Posts
Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. Balancing cost and durability, it looks like I may go the aluminum route.

However, I noticed that the RuffStuff, Doetsch and the StinkyFab all ask for a max of 3.75-4.5" of backspacing. My Wheels are 4.89.

Since I'm new to all of this, can someone help me understand why these possibly won't fit? Or better yet, how to help make them fit?
If you look at the Tie Rod ends, they are pretty close to the inside edge of the wheel. If you get a Tie Rod with larger ends it will be even closer to the inside of the wheel. Too close and it may make contact. On the bright side, as the wheel turns left and right the Tie Rod is moving with it. So it either clears or it doesn't, you don't have to allow for additional clearance to allow the wheel to turn. I would think a Tie Rod with the more normal sized 1 ton ends would clear with that backspacing. But I don't know for sure. I have a Tie Rod with 2.5 ton ends and I run wheel spacers to make it clear.
If it doesn't clear, you could add wheel spacers to space the wheels out away from the Tie Rod ends. But I would think one of the various 1 ton options would fit with that backspacing.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts

If you look at the Tie Rod ends, they are pretty close to the inside edge of the wheel. If you get a Tie Rod with larger ends it will be even closer to the inside of the wheel. Too close and it may make contact. On the bright side, as the wheel turns left and right the Tie Rod is moving with it. So it either clears or it doesn't, you don't have to allow for additional clearance to allow the wheel to turn. I would think a Tie Rod with the more normal sized 1 ton ends would clear with that backspacing. But I don't know for sure. I have a Tie Rod with 2.5 ton ends and I run wheel spacers to make it clear.
If it doesn't clear, you could add wheel spacers to space the wheels out away from the Tie Rod ends. But I would think one of the various 1 ton options would fit with that backspacing.
Also, the interior shape of every wheel is different. So some might be closer than others with the same back spacing. I'm betting they clear just fine, but the only way to know for sure is to try. Maybe set up with the vendor/manufacturer that you can return it if you have a clearance issue?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I would say that the combo of a Doetsch Drag Link and Tie Rod combo with a Core 4x4 track bar would be really tough to beat.

https://doetschoffroad.com/products...o-drill-understeer-kit-with-1-ton-offset-ends

https://www.allensoffroad.com/suspe...O-JK/Jeep-JK-2007-Present-Adj-Front-Track-Bar

About $700 for both and excellent performance. The aluminum Tie Rod is a huge step up and can take punishment that will end your day if you are running steel. 1 ton TRE's on the TR and DL and a Johnny Joint on the track bar. Good stuff.

I notice on the Doetsch page, they show a relocated steering stabilizer working with the drag link and the tie rod. I have the same stabilizer relocation bracket and almost identical DL and TR (Stinky Fab and Barnes 4wd). I could not clear the relocation bracket with the drag link. When turning toward the driver the DL would contact the bracket prevent the steering from going to full lock, by a good amount.

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm having the same sticker shock after reviewing dry-steer video of my tie rod and drag link joints (up-down movement after 50k miles on 315/70s and 285/75s). I'm planning to get the Steersmarts in spite of the cost simply because I want a one-and-done solution to fix the current problem, as well as the root cause of the problem.

It hurts, but it's not the most expensive fix/upgrade so far... I spent more replacing the tires in May (which hurt a lot...).

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
I notice on the Doetsch page, they show a relocated steering stabilizer working with the drag link and the tie rod. I have the same stabilizer relocation bracket and almost identical DL and TR (Stinky Fab and Barnes 4wd). I could not clear the relocation bracket with the drag link. When turning toward the driver the DL would contact the bracket prevent the steering from going to full lock, by a good amount.

Any thoughts on this?
I live about 6 miles from Doetsch and will stick my nose in and ask them. It's a timely question as this is the route I was planning to go and I also have the relocation bracket.

Reactions: MaCheFai

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I live about 6 miles from Doetsch and will stick my nose in and ask them. It's a timely question as this is the route I was planning to go and I also have the relocation bracket.

That’s about half way to full lock. Would be interested to see what they say.

Appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I run a franken setup. Fusion 4x4 Aluminum tie rod, Currie correctlync drag link and a Rubicon Express HD forged track bar.

However, it was close to $1000 by the time I was done but it's pretty bulletproof, especially the tie rod. The Fusion 4x4 tie rod is 1.75" diameter with 2.5 ton Rare Parts rebuildable ends. My wheels are 4.75" BS and clear with plenty of space.

Reactions: Laggy and Leadnut

·
Super Moderator
6,779 Posts
Sometimes I think the backspacing minimums they give are to cover their butts for that one guy who has some oddball set up and the rod / link doesn't clear.

I am impressed by the Fusion 4x4 Tie Rod. And my TeraFlex Track bar has been on the Jeep since near the beginning. No issues.
I do wonder if I should have went with the Fusion Drag Link as well. Maybe that is in my future.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
If/when the Currie craps out, I'll absolutely be replacing it with the Fusion drag link. So far, I have beat the crap out of the tie rod and with the exception of some rock rash, it's still solid with 12 months of service.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts