Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Wheel Car Tire

Took delivery of my (new to me - ~9k odo) 2019 Sport S 3.6L Manual 2D JL last week.

Someone mentioned plasti-dipping the grill (I said I'd love to swap it for a black one), anyone have experience doing that? Worried it might look terrible after a month. Is peeling a problem?

Picked up a locking gas cap and a door off Amazon (the locking doors didn't have great reviews). Going to grab a hitch, LED head/fog lights, and some other odds and ends. (Any suggestions?)

I'm in the PNW, and only had one day since getting her without rain, so I really haven't had a chance to take the top off yet... but really excited to.

Also, hadn't driven a stick since I sold my V6 Pontiac Fiero back in '99. I wanted a stick on this one, missed it. Took less time to pick it back up than I thought it would, and I like having a theft deterrent device that's stock. ;)

Loving this color. Now to find some Rubi slippers (wheels) for her...

·
Premium Member
10,136 Posts
Congrats. Not a fan of Orange, but that shade is pretty good. If it were mine, the first mod I would do is see about taking off the Euro bumper extensions on the ends. They are required in the EU, but they also put them on some models in the US. I guess they were trying to evaluate the response. I think they just bolt on at the back of the bumper cover.

But, if you like them, that's fine - just remember the only person the Jeep and mods have to please is you. That's one of the things that makes them so popular. It is so easy to customize them a little or a lot. Rarely do you see two identical Jeeps.

Reactions: Chugiakguy

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it were mine, the first mod I would do is see about taking off the Euro bumper extensions on the ends. They are required in the EU, but they also put them on some models in the US. I guess they were trying to evaluate the response. I think they just bolt on at the back of the bumper cover.
I'd already been thinking of taking them off, your reply is all I needed to follow through. ;) I'll have them off some time this week.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I like the orange with all the black, especially on a 2-door!

If they still had that color available when I placed my order (a couple of eons ago, in January), I might well have chosen it over the Firecracker Red.

PS: It's nice to see one of the rare non-Rubicons in this forum.

PPS: It will look even nicer with a black grill! (in my opinion, of course.)

·
Super Moderator
2006 TJ Rubicon, 4.0, automatic
3,525 Posts
I agree with removing those bumper extensions. Do a search on here for plasti-dip. There are many threads about doing it and the process people have used.

·
Registered
2010 JK
525 Posts
For headlights and foglights, JW Speaker makes some really good stuff. You could also shop for some OEM LED take-offs. JLs have a 9" headlight instead of prior model 7" headlights. As for plastidip, pull the grille off, remove the mesh, and clean it very well. The cleaner the surface is, the better the dip will adhere and the smoother the finish. A can or two should do the trick. Lay down a thin base coat, then do a couple more coats that are a bit thicker. Make sure to spray around the edge of the grille as well, leaving all of the edges of the plastidip away from the elements so it doesn't peel.

Reactions: Chugiakguy

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Personally I like the orange grille. I’ve seen plasti dipped wheels peel pretty badly.
Looks like the plasti is pretty cheap. I'll probably give it a go either way since it's not a massive deal if it peels and I'll know if I prefer it black or not without spending more.

I prefer the black grill on the Willy's in red, so I think I'd like it better on mine, but I'm not 100% either.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Looks like the plasti is pretty cheap. I'll probably give it a go either way since it's not a massive deal if it peels and I'll know if I prefer it black or not without spending more.

I prefer the black grill on the Willy's in red, so I think I'd like it better on mine, but I'm not 100% either.
Alan, the first time I ever saw the black grill on the Willys and Willys Sport, I thought it looked ... odd. But it quickly grew on me, and now I really like it a lot, particularly with the brighter offsetting colors.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alan, the first time I ever saw the black grill on the Willys and Willys Sport, I thought it looked ... odd. But it quickly grew on me, and now I really like it a lot, particularly with the brighter offsetting colors.
I kind of like it. (Photo above) Wanted to get a quick idea of what it might look like.

·
Premium Member
1,917 Posts
One day I will have an orange Jeep. IMHO…I would leave everything orange.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Personally I dislike black grilles with colorful jeeps, if my Jeep was colorful I’d want a color matched grille. But it’s your Jeep not mine haha
So for me, I dislike the color-matched hard tops and fenders. Personally I prefer the contrast of color and black. I think the two complement each other a lot. To me, the lack of contrast looks odd. That said, I hadn't seen the black grill until the Willy's and for me, it's 50/50.

What better way to figure out if I prefer one way to the other than with a plasti-dip? :) I can easily peel it off, if I decide I hate it, or go for a replacement if I decide I like it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I plasti-dipped my 06 LJ Rubicon grill and it worked out well. It didn't chip/peel and when I sold it, it was still on there. Clean and prep is your friend on the plasti-dip.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As a daily driver, my only real complaint (otherwise loving manual) is how low first is geared. I'm shifting into second within seconds. Not gunning the gas. I'm assuming it's geared this low for off-road use?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
As a daily driver, my only real complaint (otherwise loving manual) is how low first is geared. I'm shifting into second within seconds. Not gunning the gas. I'm assuming it's geared this low for off-road use?
Alan, I have occasion to drive a friend's manual transmission Toyota Tacoma, and it is geared similarly. So what I usually do, if driving in town, is try to not come to a complete and total stop at traffic lights or stop signs while slowing down; anything more than a complete and total stop, and you can just shift back into 2nd without having to use 1st gear first.

That doesn't help you, of course, if you are starting out from a dead stop.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alan, I have occasion to drive a friend's manual transmission Toyota Tacoma, and it is geared similarly. So what I usually do, if driving in town, is try to not come to a complete and total stop at traffic lights or stop signs while slowing down; anything more than a complete and total stop, and you can just shift back into 2nd without having to use 1st gear first.

That doesn't help you, of course, if you are starting out from a dead stop.
Yeah, that about mirrors what I'm doing now. First is geared so low, I'm shifting during a turn before I've even get into traffic on a back road doing 30. Otherwise I'm revving uncomfortably and sound like a rice burner.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Yeah, that about mirrors what I'm doing now. First is geared so low, I'm shifting during a turn before I've even get into traffic on a back road doing 30. Otherwise I'm revving uncomfortably and sound like a rice burner.
Alan, I find myself shifting into 2nd during turns so routinely in that Tacoma, I don't even think about it anymore --- if I'm not already shifted into 2nd before the turn (after starting from a dead stop at a traffic light, say).

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I like the color matched grille better too, fwiw.
Black grille inserts may look good though?
I was going to plasti-dip my grille too (yes, I've done similar things and it holds up), but decided this looks better. imo?
Car Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Land vehicle

1 - 20 of 32 Posts