Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last weekend I was hanging out with my buddy that owns a 600hp track built Porsche 944T and we were putputting around Long Island. We came across a Fiat dealer, and I said "you know, I really want to check this car out." I was thinking of picking up a toy for the wife, so we said what the hell, and went in.

After playing with the showroom cars for a while (built superbly) I asked the dealer if it was possible to test drive one. He threw me the keys to a 500 cabrio manual and off we went. Tooled around a few B roads, and had a good time. We came back, and I told the dealer my wife will definitely love it. The dealer is a young guy, so he says "you know, you might want to try the Abarth." I said, well, twist my arm why don't you...keys in hand, off I went.

My word is that thing fun. I mean, TONS of fun. Even my friend with the Porsche was grinning ear to ear. The sound was incredible. I really fell in love with it. I really think come spring time, I will add this thing to the stable. Jay Leno is right....it is FAR more fun to drive a "slow" car fast than a fast car fast.

Anyone else love the little thing?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
My wife really wants one too and we've been contemplating getting the 500T next year.

I've had a blast in my challengers and mustangs, but my SRT-4 was more fun IMO. Recently drove the new Subaru BRZ and STI. Both were a blast, but I couldn't bring myself to buy a car with "only" 151 ft lbs of tq or only 300 HP. My brain keeps telling me GT500 or nothing.

·
Registered
201 Posts
yuk...I dont care how fast they are..
the only thing i like about the 500's is the Italian model in the commercial...they are fugly..smart car on steriods...

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the only thing i like about the 500's is the Italian model in the commercial...they are fugly..smart car on steriods...
To each their own. I think they look fantastic, especially in black/red or white/red. Drive one and you'll love it.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My wife really wants one too and we've been contemplating getting the 500T next year.

I've had a blast in my challengers and mustangs, but my SRT-4 was more fun IMO. Recently drove the new Subaru BRZ and STI. Both were a blast, but I couldn't bring myself to buy a car with "only" 151 ft lbs of tq or only 300 HP. My brain keeps telling me GT500 or nothing.
The GT500 was my next car. I am most likely going to get it since it is the only type of car I have never owned. Having said that, I KNOW for a fact that the Fiat is more fun to drive. My s2000 was FAR more fun on twisty roads before I tripled the power output. It is just MUCH harder to drive fast than a lower powered car.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you are bored on a Saturday, head down to the dealer and take one for a rip. You'll be grinning like an idiot.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
NFRs2000NYC said:
The GT500 was my next car. I am most likely going to get it since it is the only type of car I have never owned. Having said that, I KNOW for a fact that the Fiat is more fun to drive. My s2000 was FAR more fun on twisty roads before I tripled the power output. It is just MUCH harder to drive fast than a lower powered car.
I'm looking to get a '13 or newer. Waiting to get past the first year. My dad has a GT500KR that's an amazing car to drive.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Me too. I wanted the 13 GT500. I want a muscle car, but decided to hold off until ford comes out with the fully independent suspension. Rumor has it that will happen in 2014. in the meantime, I thought about picking up a toy for the wife, so I can steal it on weekends. :D

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
You're talking about this car, right?

I'm sure they're fun, but I can't get over how ugly I think they are. I always thought Minis were ALMOST cool . . . still too girly for me, but almost. These . . . ugh, I just think it's awful.

I'm sure it's fun to drive, but if I was in the market for a roadster-type toy there are quite a few on the list that would get chosen before this one.

To each his own though. If you want one and can afford it, get one. :punk:

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you think a MINI is girls go drive one, especially an 'S' or a 'JCW'. They are fast and very agile. I know this cause the wife drives a Cooper Convertible S and I drive a Cooper Clubman S. they will take curves and eat'em up. Try it before you decide!

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're talking about this car, right?

I'm sure they're fun, but I can't get over how ugly I think they are. I always thought Minis were ALMOST cool . . . still too girly for me, but almost. These . . . ugh, I just think it's awful.

I'm sure it's fun to drive, but if I was in the market for a roadster-type toy there are quite a few on the list that would get chosen before this one.

To each his own though. If you want one and can afford it, get one. :punk:
I guess beauty is in the eye....I think that looks fantastic. Thats the color combo I want too, the white with red. Some cars are more than their looks...I didn't get the Jeep for the looks. ;)

·
Registered
327 Posts
+1000

You couldn't make me own one of those things. The car, not the model. I'd love to take that model for a spin.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Looks fun, but it's made by Fiat, right?
Might go check consumer reports or something before you write any checks. Hate to have it worn out or falling apart before it's even paid off.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Looks fun, but it's made by Fiat, right?
Might go check consumer reports or something before you write any checks. Hate to have it worn out or falling apart before it's even paid off.
X2 Fiat has a horrible reputation for quality.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Gzblack said:
Psst...don't tell anybody but the same company that makes the fiats in us makes your jeep
Get outta here with your logic and what not . . . we ain't got no place for that here!! :rofl:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Psst...don't tell anybody but the same company that makes the fiats in us makes your jeep
:rofl:

I had a Mini Cooper S as a loaner for a couple weeks. What a blast!:dance:

I do want to get behind the wheel of the Fiat sometime soon.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Speaking of fun, small, agile cars: This is my wifes Mini Coupe, I love this car.... but not as much as my Jeep.
That thing costs almost double what the Fiat costs. While I agree that it is a VERY fun car, I don't think it's twice the fun.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts