Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else here?

·
Registered
909 Posts
I grew up there, does that count for anything?

I'm headed back for the first time in years this summer. My wife has always been interested in seeing where I grew up, so we are taking a road trip this summer.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Oh no! SECFO!!! Haha, F-16 Crew Chief here... Where y'all stationed?
My reserve station was NAS Ft Worth JRB, 2000-2008.

Right after 9/11, half my unit was called up and a month later the other half. I volunteered for the first call up and spent a few months guarding alert F16s in FW. When the other half of my unit was called up, they were sent to Dyess to augment the forces in place there. One of our SNCOs came to me and asked if I wanted to go to Dyess (I had moved away from Abilene where I had grown up and left after graduating college only a few months before). I told him not just no, but hell no. He laughed and said he knew that's what I'd say.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I assume you are with the 457th FW?

When I was mobilized, for some reason they had a unit out of New Mexico bring their fighters here. I thought that odd because we had a squadron of F16s and Navy/USMC F18s on the base. How's that for using tax payer dollars?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yessir... Really? From new mexico? That is kinda weird, my supervisor was on alert out there with the jet, I didn't know they weren't ours though... Smart move on the gov't, haha...

·
Registered
909 Posts
Our fighters were parked under the overhangs with the Navy and DoD cops watching them. The alert pilots and ground crew had several trailers just behind the blast shields and enjoyed themselves immensely. They had some good cookouts while we would stand around and watch them. But we got to know some of the pilots pretty good and they'd invite us over for food. So our supervisor would run through each post and allow us to head over to them to get some grub. Good bunch of people.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts