Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize that wheel spacers aren't universally loved on this Forum; however, many seem to use them without any problems. The thing is, I'd like to keep my JKUR wheels and just get some bigger tires (right now, DT 315/70R17 are my faves), along with a 2.5" coil lift (most likely TeraFlex.)

I actually happen to like the new Rubi wheels, but also realize that their backspacing is crap for wider tires. Unfortunately, my preferred tire vendor (Discount Tire Co.) has told me that they won't work on Jeeps with wheel spacers (due to "safety concerns"), so I might have to come up with another solution. Even if I just install 1.5" spacers and order the tires for home delivery, I can't mount and balance them on the stock rims myself.

So, long story short, how have those of you with wheel spacers managed this issue? Should I just look for another tire shop that's less concerned about liability? Would appreciate any input; thanks in advance! :thumb:

·
Registered
391 Posts
I realize that wheel spacers aren't universally loved on this Forum; however, many seem to use them without any problems. The thing is, I'd like to keep my JKUR wheels and just get some bigger tires (right now, DT 315/70R17 are my faves), along with a 2.5" coil lift (most likely TeraFlex.)

I actually happen to like the new Rubi wheels, but also realize that their backspacing is crap for wider tires. Unfortunately, my preferred tire vendor (Discount Tire Co.) has told me that they won't work on Jeeps with wheel spacers (due to "safety concerns"), so I might have to come up with another solution. Even if I just install 1.5" spacers and order the tires for home delivery, I can't mount and balance them on the stock rims myself.

So, long story short, how have those of you with wheel spacers managed this issue? Should I just look for another tire shop that's less concerned about liability? Would appreciate any input; thanks in advance! :thumb:
I'll be monitoring this thread for answers as I am in the same boat now.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Just find a local shop to do the mount and balance for you.

I'm on the fence right now between new wheels or keeping the stock Rubi wheels. I have the 1.5" spacers but haven't installed them yet. Waiting until I do the lift and then I'll decide.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts

·
Registered
38,318 Posts
I know it's a little more expensive but with cost of spacers running between $100-$150 a pair. Wouldn't it be better to wait and save and get the rims. I have stock rims and this is the road I'm thinking of

·
Registered
290 Posts
mackdj1 said:
I know it's a little more expensive but with cost of spacers running between $100-$150 a pair. Wouldn't it be better to wait and save and get the rims. I have stock rims and this is the road I'm thinking of
5 rims mounted and balanced will run way more then 200 for 2 pairs of spydertrax

·
Registered
38,318 Posts
Jerkbait said:
5 rims mounted and balanced will run way more then 200 for 2 pairs of spydertrax
I agree but if you look on kijiji you can sometimes pick up a good deal on rims that may already have tires on them. Just a thought

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Exactly! The nicer rims (AEV, Rugged Ridge, etc.) are about $200 each, so the real comparison is between spending $1,000+ on 5 wheels vs. $200 for 2 sets of spacers!

·
Registered
38,318 Posts
LarsA said:
Exactly! The nicer rims (AEV, Rugged Ridge, etc.) are about $200 each, so the real comparison is between spending $1,000+ on 5 wheels vs. $200 for 2 sets of spacers!
You could also sell your tires and rims to help offset the cost

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is no issues with running quality spacers. No different then wheels with less backspacing as far as stresses on the balljoints/bearings/etc.
Make sure they are torqued to spec and check periodically.

Many people run them and have 0 problems. Some temporary and some for a long time.
Yeah, that's what I thought. The local Discount Tire guy I spoke with today said that spacers make it impossible to properly torque the wheels down as they reduce the useable length of the wheel studs...:confused:

Anyway, I'll look forward to hearing more about this issue...

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
LarsA said:
Yeah, that's what I thought. The local Discount Tire guy I spoke with today said that spacers make it impossible to properly torque the wheels down as they reduce the useable length of the wheel studs...:confused:

Anyway, I'll look forward to hearing more about this issue...
Pretty sure they create a new stud. The spacer has studs on it and bolts to the current studs. You should still have the same length of stud

Correct me if I'm wrong

·
Registered
38,318 Posts
PhotoWrangler said:
Along with the 4,000 other people in your local craigslist community! :rofl:
Yeah the market is kind of flooded isn't it. All I know is what I've heard. Some people have no problems running spacers and some people do. Guess it depends on quality and how you're going to use your rig. But I haven't heard anyone complain about properly backspace rims.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yeah the market is kind of flooded isn't it. All I know is what I've heard. Some people have no problems running spacers and some people do. Guess it depends on quality and how you're going to use your rig. But I haven't heard anyone complain about properly backspace rims.
OK mackdj1, it's time to back off a little bit. It appears you are essentially arguing with a group here who is looking for some input you are not able to provide.

I'll add that I am also monitoring this thread with an interest in the same approach as the OP to adding bigger tires; I like the wheels that came with my rig and they are not negotiable.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Your local Kauffman tire, Goodyear, wal-mart, son on and so forth will do the tires for you. I used Kauffman and they even mounted the spacers for me while they were in there. I have been running wheel spacers for a couple of years and they are the cheaper eBay brand with no problems. Just make sure they are torqued and that your tires are balanced and you won't have any added distress to your drivetrain.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Yeah the market is kind of flooded isn't it.

Just a little!

In my area its fun to watch people post their wheels online for $1500... and then see how many days it takes them to sell them for $350. LOL!

You can watch the prices fall nearly daily because there are so many of them for sale.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Along with the 4,000 other people in your local craigslist community! :rofl:
I know! There are 3 sets of 2013 Rubi wheels & tires on the Dallas CL right now, ranging from $1,100 to $1,450 in asking price. Have been listed for a while, too... Guess there aren't too many takers at that price...

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I know! There are 3 sets of 2013 Rubi wheels & tires on the Dallas CL right now, ranging from $1,100 to $1,450 in asking price. Have been listed for a while, too... Guess there aren't too many takers at that price...

Its Texas... land of big trucks and even bigger tires! Especially up there. I didn't realize how 'rural' Dallas/Fort Worth was until I moved to Houston 6 months ago. Hell, you have to drive 3 hours here just to see a head of livestock.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts