Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I come in as an SUV owner, about to become a Wrangler owner. Be gentle.

I've narrowed down my choice of wrangler, but I keep getting stuck at the hard top/soft top issue. The dealer tells me to get a hardtop and then buy an after market soft top- but there is some hardware required.

So here is my question: How hard is it to add the aftermarket "hardware"? I don't do DIY stuff well- and normally have to call someone to fix it. So, I'm a little nervous. But there do seem to be quite a few after market soft top kits out there.

Help!

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Welcome to WF..

I'll move this to the JK section.

Oh...and if you are only going to get one from the dealer....get the hard top. It is a LOT easier to add a soft top later.

Most people go with either a Trektop NX soft top, or buy a "new take-off" factory soft top.

·
Registered
750 Posts
i say get it with hard top and buy a bestop (brand) i prefer the trektop NX(model). it will come with all the hardware in the box that you need

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Welcome to WF.. I'll move this to the JK section. Oh...and if you are only going to get one from the dealer....get the hard top. It is a LOT easier to add a soft top later. Most people go with either a Trektop NX soft top, or buy a "new take-off" factory soft top.
The trektop NX comes with all the needed hardware to install and it also looks awesome!

I got the hard top from the factory. Better for winter.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Why not order the dual top option? It's a bit more expensive,,but you get both from the factory and they are both covered by warranty, wheras the a soft top picked up later wouldn't be.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I got the hard top, love it! Don't really like the soft top look, but going to get a jkini instead. If you like both and can afford it I would get that option though.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Get both from factory. The factory "premium" soft top is easy to fold/unfold, and the hard top is nice in winter (depending on your location).

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
The freedom top settled it for me. I loved the soft top on my 98 Wrangler but security always worried me. As soon as I saw the freedom panels on the hard top, I was sold. I could get reasonable security for stuff in the Jeep (you can't simply unzip a panel) and got "topless" relatively easily. I still would love to get a frameless softop like the NX but I'm happy for now.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Not sure whats the point of buying a convertible jeep and buying a hard top to go with it. These cars are meant to enjoy!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Not too enjoyable in the middle of a nasty winter. I would never own one without a hardtop for the winters here. I have a bikini and tonno for the summer but I am going to also get a soft top I think. The hard top and doors takes me and the wife 10 minutes to take off or put back on.

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
Dual top option will give you the best of both tops. The only top I add to this combo is a bikini top. Right now I am enjoying the premium soft top. Three tops, easy to change, what a great life!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts