Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Cool forum! I've been lerking in the build threads for quite a while and looking at all yalls guys rides. :)

However, I am about to get a JK unlimited sport. I've got my eye on a white 2015 1 owner, with barely 10k on it. Never lifted.

I am already planning what I want to do to it. I wouldn't be muddin' much. I MAY take it trailing. This is mostly going to be a street machine and grocery getter. But, with that being said, I have always liked to mod my vehicles.

I want to lift it and put some rims and tires on it. What do you guys recommend? I have seen the best thing for this type of scenario is around a 2.5in - 3 in lift with 35s. I've read if you get 37s and up, you are looking at changing gears possibly. As well as if you get anything higher than a 3in lift, you are looking at possibly swapping driveshafts etc...

Also, any particular unlimited sport yall recommend? Rubicon? Sahara? Etc?

Thanks for all the future feedback!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
welcome to the forum.

As far as which is better, I'd imagine that you'll get a lot of varying opinions on here. Rubicon is the most capable right out of the box, Sahara has better road manners, Sport is the entry level as far as factory standard equipment.

·
Registered
535 Posts
First, congrats on wanting a jeep. Second, try to find one with 35's and drive it first. You may not like the way it drives. It slows the jeep considerably and with that much tire on the ground it doesn't drive as nice as a smaller tire. Third, it totally depends on the look you want. You can run 35's with no lift and flat fender flares if you want. If you just want it to look beefier and you aren't wheeling it often, get a 1.5-2" budget boost and some 33" tires. There are about a thousand threads on here discussing this exact thing so hit up the search box to.

Also plan to have much less expendable income once you own a jeep and begin mods. They never seem to stop.

Lastly, you asked about 3 different models. There isn't an unlimited sport sahara. You can get either a unlimited sport, unlimited sahara, unlimited rubicon, or one of 100 unlimited (enter special edition name here)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Don't do it man. Just turn back now, go as far away as possible. You're already getting the sickness and it's only going to get worse when you own one. It starts with just wanting a lift, bigger tires and maybe some rims if you can swing it. Next think you know you're dropping $500 on headlights, wishing you had $350 more for some tail lights, and right at that moment you see a another jeep drive past you with some sweet looking bumpers and then it just keeps going with no end in sight.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
welcome to the forum.

As far as which is better, I'd imagine that you'll get a lot of varying opinions on here. Rubicon is the most capable right out of the box, Sahara has better road manners, Sport is the entry level as far as factory standard equipment.
Sweet. Yeah. After asking this particular question I found a youtube video about the differences. I would want the unlimited sport. No need for a rubicon because I wont be off roading that much (No need for both the d44 and the possibility of 4.10s)

First, congrats on wanting a jeep. Second, try to find one with 35's and drive it first. You may not like the way it drives. It slows the jeep considerably and with that much tire on the ground it doesn't drive as nice as a smaller tire. Third, it totally depends on the look you want. You can run 35's with no lift and flat fender flares if you want. If you just want it to look beefier and you aren't wheeling it often, get a 1.5-2" budget boost and some 33" tires. There are about a thousand threads on here discussing this exact thing so hit up the search box to.

Also plan to have much less expendable income once you own a jeep and begin mods. They never seem to stop.

Lastly, you asked about 3 different models. There isn't an unlimited sport sahara. You can get either a unlimited sport, unlimited sahara, unlimited rubicon, or one of 100 unlimited (enter special edition name here)
Interesting. I've owned trucks all my life and decided for my latest vehicle I wanted a sports car. So, trust me, when you say dumping money, It seems like its apart of my budget now. I've dumped probably 10k+ in my current ride since I've owned it. Ready for something different and fun.

I wouldn't be impartial to a mild lift and 33"s. I know it sounds weird. But, I want that look more than anything. I test drove a standard with 35s and a 2.5in lift I believe. I loved it. I do want an automatic since it'll be the normal DD.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't do it man. Just turn back now, go as far away as possible. You're already getting the sickness and it's only going to get worse when you own one. It starts with just wanting a lift, bigger tires and maybe some rims if you can swing it. Next think you know you're dropping $500 on headlights, wishing you had $350 more for some tail lights, and right at that moment you see a another jeep drive past you with some sweet looking bumpers and then it just keeps going with no end in sight.
I am committed. I want it all. The wife is fine with it too. Her first ride was an old red CJ. She misses it dearly.

·
Registered
197 Posts
For what you are saying it will be primarily used for I'd say get a leveling kit and 33s and some 1.5" wheel spacers.

·
Registered
237 Posts
For what you are saying it will be primarily used for I'd say get a leveling kit and 33s and some 1.5" wheel spacers.
Agreed with one change. Get a set of rubicon take off wheels with the factory mud tires.

I have a Willys JKU which comes with the Rubi wheels and tires. I added a Tereflex Leveling kit (2" front, 1" rear) and 2" wheel spacers. I like the look and it will keep me happy for a while (meaning I can focus on other mods without obsessing about lift and tires). I'm sure a set of Rubi take off wheels with stock tires will be cheaper than getting new rims and 33's.

Worth noting, once you put on spacers the sides of your jeep will never be clean for more than a few minutes unless you get front flaps.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am not a big fan of wheel spacers. I'd rather buy the rims I want with the correct offset. I've dealt with spacers before, only leads to complications. Atleast with the applications I've used them for.

this

35's start eating too much power....lots more weight too
I am not dead set of 35s. But, I like the look of a mild lift with some 18's and 33s or 20's and 35s.

Agreed with one change. Get a set of rubicon take off wheels with the factory mud tires.

I have a Willys JKU which comes with the Rubi wheels and tires. I added a Tereflex Leveling kit (2" front, 1" rear) and 2" wheel spacers. I like the look and it will keep me happy for a while (meaning I can focus on other mods without obsessing about lift and tires). I'm sure a set of Rubi take off wheels with stock tires will be cheaper than getting new rims and 33's.

Worth noting, once you put on spacers the sides of your jeep will never be clean for more than a few minutes unless you get front flaps.
I want to do it one time too. I am not sure if a lot of you here recommend a route for order of mods but for me it was going to go like this:

1- remote start and tint (I already have all of the hardware on my old vehicle, just have to transfer it over)
2- audio, bluetooth needed and some upgraded sound
3- lift, rims, and tires
4 - bumpers and side bar
5 - maybe different fenders and lighting

then after possibly consider performance modding or adding stuff for my dog where she would be happy (like a dog net)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Agreed!
Will preserve some ride quality on blacktop yet allow for some mild-medium trailing. Best og both worlds... IMHO

·
Registered
116 Posts
don't do it man. Just turn back now, go as far away as possible. You're already getting the sickness and it's only going to get worse when you own one. It starts with just wanting a lift, bigger tires and maybe some rims if you can swing it. Next think you know you're dropping $500 on headlights, wishing you had $350 more for some tail lights, and right at that moment you see a another jeep drive past you with some sweet looking bumpers and then it just keeps going with no end in sight.
hahahahahahahaha!!!!!

·
Registered
765 Posts
My jeep is faster with 35s (and obviously a regear) than it was stock. A sport, a sport s, and a Sahara are the same vehicle with the exception of rims, tires, fenders, and electronics.. Mechanically.. They can all be had with the same, few, drivetrain options..

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My jeep is faster with 35s (and obviously a regear) than it was stock. A sport, a sport s, and a Sahara are the same vehicle with the exception of rims, tires, fenders, and electronics.. Mechanically.. They can all be had with the same, few, drivetrain options..
I really like the look of 35's and a 4in lift. Ideally in my head, i'd want to get a 4 in lift with 35's, probably on 18x10 rims. Again, I am the type of person, that would put a lift kit on it and some 33s, to later say screw it and lift it higher on 35s. But, I would never want to go more than 4 inches. and to a 37.

·
Registered
765 Posts
:: looks for that book about Napoleon ::

A 4" lift brings with it a lot more expense and IMO would look goofy with "just" 35s. But it's all about you and what you like for your Jeep!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:: looks for that book about Napoleon ::

A 4" lift brings with it a lot more expense and IMO would look goofy with "just" 35s. But it's all about you and what you like for your Jeep!
I would eventually add alot more. You have to start somewhere, but I dont want to mess with the suspension more than once. If a 2.5-3in lift would handle it no different, i am not impartial to it at all. Thats why I am asking.

·
Banned
2,659 Posts
However, I am about to get a JK unlimited sport. I've got my eye on a white 2015 1 owner, with barely 10k on it. I want to lift it and put some rims and tires on it. What do you guys recommend? I have seen the best thing for this type of scenario is around a 2.5in - 3 in lift with 35s. I've read if you get 37s and up, you are looking at changing gears possibly. As well as if you get anything higher than a 3in lift, you are looking at possibly swapping driveshafts etc...
Seriously, read this before you do anything. You can thank me later.

My thoughts on lifts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Seriously, read this before you do anything. You can thank me later.

My thoughts on lifts
Thanks man! That's what I really needed. With that being said, if I'd want to run a max of 35 in tires, it would sort of silly to run 4in lift (for my needs it sounds like). So, ill be looking for those 2.5in to 3 in lifts. I have been reading a lot and a lot of people talk good about teraflex. I see they have a couple 2.5 in and 3 in kits that are within my budget range.

·
Registered
535 Posts
can't go wrong with Rock Krawler either. I had the 2.5 Flex with bilsteins. I would go with a softer shock than the bils but the lift and springs were fantastic

·
Registered
197 Posts

I love the look of the BFG MTs coupled with the Rubi wheels (particularly the Hard Rock) but with the highway driving I do I went with BFG K02s to quiet the ride a bit. Other than that, I think they're a great option to upgrade a Sport or Sahara for some trails.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts