Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, all.

I've been in the market for a Jeep for a while now, and am about to go ahead and pull the trigger, but before I do so I wanted to get a little insight from you insightful folks.

Ideally, I want a 2dr white Willys (24W) with power convenience group and hard top. I've been casually browsing for a while now, and came across a guy selling a 2016 with everything I want for a decent price. It has 2100 miles on it, white, 24W with power convenience group, hard top, excellent condition, etc. He's asking $30,500, which I think is excellent considering I was looking at 34k for a '15 from a dealership. I've already gone through and gotten approved for financing, etc. Before I pull the trigger, however, I do have one concern. I'm in the Air Force, and will be moving bases next year. There's a chance I could get based overseas, at which point I'd probably have to sell the Jeep. I've read that Jeeps don't depreciate as much as other vehicles. Obviously, it's a risk, and it's a risk I'm willing to take as long as I'm not losing like an ungodly amount. Basically, I'm trying to ask what I could reasonably expect to get from that Jeep in one years time with about 15k miles on it (expect it to be in very good condition - pavement princess). Am I looking at taking a loss of more than 6k (getting less than 24k for it)?

Sorry for this confusing post... Hopefully someone understands it enough to help me! Thank you.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Back in the day the military would ship a vehicle to where you would be stationed. Google what jeeps sell for where you could end up. Take it with you and sell for a profit if the market would support it.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Also remember that 2017 is a model change. To most vehicles that means the previous body style takes a massive hit in value. Although, if people don't like the new one, the 2016 might not take much of a hit at all. Heck they might be sought after if people REALLY don't like the new one. Haha. But you are correct, historically well maintained wranglers lose resale value much slower than most vehicles. I have noticed that low mileage 1 to 2 year old wranglers, particularly special or higher models like Rubicons, tend to be listed in classifieds near the same price as a new one. Go figure.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Someone I've since lost touch with was in the military and brought his Ram dually with him to both Germany and I think Korea so I'm guessing the military has some sort of assistance program for you folks. Though driving a dually Ram in Korea probably sucked. lol

·
Registered
799 Posts
I paid almost 6k for a 20 year old Sahara YJ...yes I may have overpaid a bit, but yah, main point is pretty much all jeeps hold their value. :)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Unless you're going to a remote location, the AF will ship your vehicle. Having a JK in Germany would be great! UK or Japan, not so much due to their driving on the wrong side of the road, but it could be done.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Just as a heads up, you can get new for that price almost! I bought my 2015 JK WW with the same package that you want, even white for $31,888 about six months ago. Iv noticed that the JK/JKUs loose value much faster than that of the TJs.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone for the replies!
With my job, doing a hardship assignment for one year in S. Korea is quite common (and not something I'd be opposed to), at which point I'd just store the vehicle. My fiancé, on the other hand, is going through pilot training, so we don't even know what airframe he will be flying until next year. It's complicated, but Korea was looking like the best option in term of us being based together afterwards. I was just afraid that we could be put in a situation where I'd be living overseas for 3-4 years (once he gets his airframe they can then find a base that has both of our job needs). The cost of gas in Europe would probably not make the Wrangler worthwhile, as public transport is so accessible, and I wouldn't want to store the vehicle stateside for that long of a time.

Blah blah blah.

I bought the Jeep. Brought it home today, and couldn't be happier!
Thank you everyone for your help, but you won't be done with me that easily. You'll see me quite a bit more on the forum now!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts