Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my 2" OME's front and rear, I've got my Bilstein 5100's, I've got my 32" GY Adventures w kevlar, I've got a friend to help me do the work.

While I've got the Jeep jacked up and I'm swapping out the suspension, is there anything else I should check for damage and wear, swap out (either because i definitely should immediately, or as a nice little upgrade which will eventually need to happen). Bump stops, ball joints, sway bar links, etc? I'd like to make sure I don't miss any must-do items, and I'd also like to consider any optional one's.

FYI, I only drive 5-7k miles per year, so this might be the only time I care to address these issues. I can't see even thinking about this again, for likely five more years, if ever. I'd like to do one great upgrade, happy to spend extra since this might last 5-10 years. Also, this is 95% Northeast city/highway driving.

·
Registered
235 Posts
One recommendation-pay attention to the tags on the springs-A and B
I don't recall which one is taller but the taller one goes on drivers side. I wasn't paying attention when I installed my OME and had to switch springs around

·
Super Moderator
6,901 Posts
bump stops and rear track bar relocation bracket, sway bar links would be good to

cycle the suspension when you have the springs out to see how much bumpstop extension you'll need.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One recommendation-pay attention to the tags on the springs-A and B
I don't recall which one is taller but the taller one goes on drivers side. I wasn't paying attention when I installed my OME and had to switch springs around
Whoa, I'm glad I asked. This is one of those things I'd definitely overlook.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bump stops and rear track bar relocation bracket, sway bar links would be good to

cycle the suspension when you have the springs out to see how much bumpstop extension you'll need.
(I say this from a place of complete ignorance, however I recall hearing mixed things on this on this very item):

On a 2" lift , I've been told I wouldn't need to mess with the rear track bar. Of course, after reading through a ton of lift threads, most do, even the 2" ones, but not all. What's the reason to relocate it, and at what height is it clearly needed, and clearly not? (fyi, i really don't even know what a track bar does, so, please know I'm not saying anyone is wrong. The one guy that is definitely wrong, is me...I'm just trying to correct that)

·
Super Moderator
6,901 Posts
the track bar centers your axles under your jeep.

the rear track bar mounts to the frame on the passenger side and the axle on the drivers side. the front is the opposite with the frame mount on the drivers side and the axle mount on the passenger side. anytime you change the distance between your frame and axles, it will cause your axles to be pulled/pushed out of center. since you are lifting it 2", it will pull the rear axle ~1/2" to the passenger side and the front end ~1/2" to the drivers side.

since there is no steering to worry about in the rear, the bracket is a great idea. the only draw back being if you tuck your belly pan up, you'll need to rotate the axle farther than intended, but thats down the road.

so a $20 bracket will recenter your rear axle, on to the front. at only 2" lift, there arent many options on adjustable track bars, its really only the JKS, unless you want to cut the MC bar slightly shorter. since you're going with wider tires you'll be closer to rubbing your frame/control arm/anti-sway bar even with the axle centered. without recentering your front axle, the passenger side will be ~1/4" closer to rubbing and it will require additional steering stop washers. you could also drill a new TB mount hole, but it gets tricky and should be reinforced.

clear as mud, huh

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just saw your other thread, if biffgnar is helping you, you'll do just fine
Yep, I know he is the man for this, so im not worried about anything not getting done properly. I'm kind of looking ahead towards what I might want or need to do, and he's already helping me a ton, so I feel better trying to do my homework here so I can understand everything as best i can

·
Registered
235 Posts
Track bar keeps your wheels centered. When I did my 2" OME I used a track bar relocation bracket as it came with my kit. You can go ahead and do your work this weekend and do the bracket later. Measure how far the wheels stick out on each side-once you lift it will be different without bracket

1 - 11 of 11 Posts