Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I am about to swap my NP 231J transfer case on my 99TJ Sahara. When I remove the skid plate, where is a good point to support the driveline? I was going to use the bottle jack on top of a cinder block to do this. Then I was going to lower the skid plate with a floor jack.

I have never done this kind of work, but it doesn't look that bad.

Famous last words...

·
Banned
7,496 Posts
I would place it on the transmission as close to the skid plate/transfer case as possible. I wouldn't apply to much pressure just enough to support it.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
I would also use some floor jacks to support the trans and t-case while you remove the plate. As well as to hold the the trans in place after wards.

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
When I drop my skid plate I put a jack stand on the shaft coming out of the transfercase, either on the u-joint, or closer to the transfer case if you can.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Cinder blocks will kill you! They can shatter without warning, letting everything fall on you.

Use wooden blocks.

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
When you take the tcase loose it will want to roll on you since it is not balanced, so be ready when you take out the last bolts. Have someone ready to assist or support the tcase till you remove it.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TexasT: Thanks, man. Unfortunately, I will be doing this solo. I am assuming you drained it first, how heavy is the whole assembly? Can I hold it with one arm while I remove the last bolt with the other?

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
I took mine out with the transmission by myself but because of previous experience used a sling I made out of chain to catch everything when I backed them out with my floor jack. It worked but I would not recommend it. I did not drain it and had no problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts