Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
fabd these up at work today with shop techs guidance and im bout to cut old thin bent to hellandback brackets and was wondering if anybody has done this before and how to make them line up properly? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Nice job! I don't know what an LCA bracket is, but those look like good ones!

·
Registered
156 Posts
very nice indeed, i'd weld an extra piece on there as a skid plate.
where do you live ? wondering if you can fab me a set.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Your best bet ( if your LCA bushings are not worn out and oblonged ) is measure the centerline of the bolt hole to the frame in a vertical line and mark ( use a metal scribe ) the frame top to bottom inline with the bolt hole of the OEM bracket

Measure the distance from frame to bolt hole. Write it down.

Using your vertical line on the frame, align your new bracket in position and tack it in place.... just to hold it, don't go crazy.

Place your LCA in position and ensure you are in good alignment to the axle. JJ or heim joints should be made as true as possible. if you have solid ends, just make sure they don't bind at an angle.

Take your reference measurement for bolt hole to frame distance and make sure you have the same measurement or very close to it.

If you have to twist or move the bracket for alignment, tap it with a hammer or make reference marks on frame and bracket and move it, re-tack and check.

When you are happy... check it again BOTH SIDES and start welding. Try using a large C Clamp on the bracket before you fully weld to stop it from lifting as you weld.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
1) Measure the distance between the upper and lower bump stops to get a good idea of ride height. Set the frame on jack stands with the tires pulled.

2) Droop the axle and pull the springs. You'll have to unbolt the shocks to be able to droop the axle enough.

3)Put the axle up on separate jack stands so that it's sitting at about ride height.

4) Unbolt one lower arm at the axle and cut the bracket off. Slide the new mount over the control arm, slide the bolt through, and swing the arm up to the axle. Tack the mount on. If it's a little higher up on the axle, that's fine and actually a good thing.

5) Repeat to the other side. Measure and make sure the mounts are square and symmetrical.

6) Full weld. Done. Reinstall springs and bolt up the shocks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
good call on drooping the axle made it a whole lot easier to get to. got everything lined up and welded in, no binding of arm or anything I reused stock arms with no issues but id like to replace with tubular arms and jjs. next on list is bigger coils longer shocks I only really need 2" or so and I really like the bds bb set up, heard good things/read good reviews. I will post pics in morning after I paint them up. thanks for help guys

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kewlkarim said:
very nice indeed, i'd weld an extra piece on there as a skid plate.
where do you live ? wondering if you can fab me a set.
if you get the steel and send me a template I can have them done in 2-4 hours. its 2 pieces bent at 90s with slots to fit to each other beads on inside and dremel tool to finish. they clear arms perfect down and up

1 - 11 of 11 Posts