Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving at 50 mph and the ABS light came on, along with the ESC and the BAS light. I've had codes read on two different readers and no codes are showing. I've checked the fuses I can find that seem to have anything to do with ABS and all are testing good. I suspect a loose/bad wire connection. Any suggestions where to look other that might save me some time and effort? Also, the cruise control quit working at the same time. It's an '08 JK Sahara, manual transmission with 76k miles.
Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, steering wheel is straight.

I used an inexpensive code reader that I have, and then I took it to O'Reillys and their code reader gave the same result. I suppose I might have to take it to a dealer if I can't sort it out.
I should mention, I also jacked up each corner and checked the wheel bearings for excessive play, having heard this is a common source of ABS faults.

Thanks for your input, any other ideas are welcome.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
You need to scan using a scanner that can read ABS modules. Otherwise you are guessing.
This.

You need a scanner that can get into the ABS and SRS codes, AND you have to know how to view them. A lot of the parts store guys don't.

I have had an Autel scanner for years and years, but it doesnt read those. When my abs light kicked on I bought a new Innova scanner that promised it could read those. It couldn't have been more than $100 or $150 because otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.

Bingo, it tells me RF ABS sensor. Looked at the wire and it was chafing on my front axle u-joint yoke. My fault, I missed putting it back in one of its holders after doing some work. I might have found it with a thorough inspection instead of a scanner, but there are instances where you won't, like if the sensor just goes bad.

Beware that when you replace ABS sensors, not all of them have wires as long as the factory ones. That's something to watch out for if you go aftermarket with it. Can't recall which brand I ended up using, probably Mopar in the end.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys are right, I've been in denial. And, I'd rather buy a new tool than go to the dealer.
I could use a favor. I did a quick look at Innova Scan Tools and immediately found 8 models. Would you mind getting a look at yours and advising the model number?
Thanks for your time. If too busy, I understand and will research Innova's web site for sure.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
You guys are right, I've been in denial. And, I'd rather buy a new tool than go to the dealer.

I could use a favor. I did a quick look at Innova Scan Tools and immediately found 8 models. Would you mind getting a look at yours and advising the model number?

Thanks for your time. If too busy, I understand and will research Innova's web site for sure.
No worries. It's a 3150f.

Just checked Amazon I see it for $182. I did a decent amount of research and that's what I came up with. It does everything it says it does, at least on my 2012.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I appreciate it!

Just so you know, I might not get after this for several months. I'm leaving the country fairly soon, not back until Christmas. I just wanted to let you know I will always come back and post my outcome. It's disappointing when people come on to a forum, get some help and then never share what happened. Not me, but likely a substantial time lag this time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think my tires are stock. I'm the 2nd owner and replaced the tires back in January. I'm running 275/65R18's. This is my first and only Wrangler, pretty sure the 18" rims are stock.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE: I got back to the U.S. on December 19th and oh yeah, I've got an ABS light to fix along with ramping up for Christmas. No pressure, but I also needed a safety check to get my updated registration sticker by December 31st....
Instead of buying Wharfrat's recommended code reader (Autel 3150f or higher) at about $175, I surrendered to the calendar and took it in to a shop. It's an independent operation that does a lot of tire and brake work and I use them for my safety inspections. Their code reader identified a faulty ABS sensor on the right rear wheel. I went ahead and let them fix it and for about $230 my system is working. The part was $75 so if I'd bought the tool and done it myself I would have spent an extra $20 but, I would now own a very powerful code reader.
The next time I have an issue that requires reading codes I hope to buy the tool.

Just wanted to share the outcome in case anybody is sitting on the fence about spending for the code reader. Happy New Year!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Most of the ABS problems with these Jeeps are wiring issues, almost never the sensor itself. For the rear right one check the wiring behind the fuel tank, the 2 yellow wires, the are wrapped inside a black tube.

For the best scanner that works on all modules including ABS and Airbags on almost any vehicle from North America I recommend BlueDriver, very good tool with a lot of options, works on any phone with IOS or Android and is legit not Chinese, you can get it for around $100.

·
Retired Moderator
100,608 Posts
Most of the ABS problems with these Jeeps are wiring issues, almost never the sensor itself. For the rear right one check the wiring behind the fuel tank, the 2 yellow wires, the are wrapped inside a black tube.

For the best scanner that works on all modules including ABS and Airbags on almost any vehicle from North America I recommend BlueDriver, very good tool with a lot of options, works on any phone with IOS or Android and is legit not Chinese, you can get it for around $100.
Welcome to the Forum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts