Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends,

The ABS light came on while I was driving this evening. I was driving in a straight line and had just shifted out of 1st gear into second. Just after letting the clutch completely out and pushing the gas further in to accelerate the jeep stuttered and the ABS light flashed. I pushed in the clutch to maintain control and tried letting it back out while still in 2nd gear. I tried a second time to let the clutch out while in second and continue driving but the light came on again. I pulled over into a neighborhood and then back out and drove home. No more ABS light flashes or problems.

I've heard about ABS lights and some issues on 2007-2009 models but I do not know the remedy or solution that was provided. I am thinking of taking it to the dealership tomorrow to let them run a diagnostic but would appreciate the boards help and suggestions here before hand. Some information about my jeep:

2010 manual 3.21 two doors
2.5 lift with 33x12.5R15
adj front/rear track bars
The steering is straight when driving and the jeep tracks straight.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Edit:

It is the ESC light.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Possible, I did spray wash each wheel well and tire good after the last wheeling trip. Can you tell me exactly where to look for the sensor so that I could check it?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Follow the wires clipped to the brake lines down into the hubs - thats the ABS sensor being described.

Two faults have caused the same issue you are referring to that I am aware of, one as mentioned dirt or mud in the ABS sensors, two, faulty clock spring which mine had.

The dealer scan tool will show up these errors no matter which one it is, though if its mud etc in the sensors they will prob charge you to clean them out!

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Follow the wires clipped to the brake lines down into the hubs - thats the ABS sensor being described.

Two faults have caused the same issue you are referring to that I am aware of, one as mentioned dirt or mud in the ABS sensors, two, faulty clock spring which mine had.

The dealer scan tool will show up these errors no matter which one it is, though if its mud etc in the sensors they will prob charge you to clean them out!
I've attempted to edit my post to show it was the ESC light on the dash not the ABS. Would I still check it for the same thing mud/dirt? Is it in the same place?

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did any of you get the clockspring ex-warranty from Chrysler?
Haven't heard of it so no. If the problem is not mud/dirt related, would the replacement of this sensor or it's repair or it's diagnosis be a warranty fix?

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think it's related.

When you did your lift, remember the wire that was clipped into the frame?
Yes. I used the extension brackets provided in the teraflex kit for them. Is this what I should be checking for dirt/mud?

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
ESP said:
Yes. I used the extension brackets provided in the teraflex kit for them. Is this what I should be checking for dirt/mud?
I know we extended the brake line. Not the
sensor wire ?
Haven't looked into my TF kit yet.

But, I do believe they are easy to clean.
Seen mention of removing and using alcohol to wipe down.

Is this true? I don't know :(

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update:

Jeep was checked and no error codes were present. Light has remained off since it came on a few days ago with no further instances. Dealership has a record now in writing of this happening while still under warranty. Recommended no warranty work at this time.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
ESP said:
Update:

Jeep was checked and no error codes were present. Light has remained off since it came on a few days ago with no further instances. Dealership has a record now in writing of this happening while still under warranty. Recommended no warranty work at this time.
Well that's good.

We'll go with mud on sensor :)

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well that's good.

We'll go with mud on sensor :)
We'll...no I didn't find any and I looked very closely. This is why I went ahead and took it in because I didn't see any 1st hand. I did not remove the sensors as some have suggested to clean them but the lines and the wheels/tires and all parts are spotless clean. I mean as much as they can be :angel:

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Like kjeeper10 said, I'd also suspect a wheel sensor. Had one go out on my 09 about 6 months ago. After i pulled out of my parking spot, the damn thing shook and shuttered, couldn't even drive it. ABS goes on because the computer thinks your in a skid or something and it's trying to correct by appling the brakes to the other wheels. Had to have it towed to the dealership. They replaced the sensor, no problem and it was still under warranty.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Friends,

The ABS light came on while I was driving this evening. I was driving in a straight line and had just shifted out of 1st gear into second. Just after letting the clutch completely out and pushing the gas further in to accelerate the jeep stuttered and the ABS light flashed. I pushed in the clutch to maintain control and tried letting it back out while still in 2nd gear. I tried a second time to let the clutch out while in second and continue driving but the light came on again. I pulled over into a neighborhood and then back out and drove home. No more ABS light flashes or problems.

I've heard about ABS lights and some issues on 2007-2009 models but I do not know the remedy or solution that was provided. I am thinking of taking it to the dealership tomorrow to let them run a diagnostic but would appreciate the boards help and suggestions here before hand. Some information about my jeep:

2010 manual 3.21 two doors
2.5 lift with 33x12.5R15
adj front/rear track bars
The steering is straight when driving and the jeep tracks straight.
This ESP struck me today, no codes and dealer could not figure it out. Just made a note and waiting for it to happen again but of course it did not. No mud or dirt, not sure what happened. I almost couldn't make it through an intersection when this happened. Has anyone figured this out yet?

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
If you know the suspect sensor just unplug it. Buying for time?, cut the wire.

By doing so totally disables the abs/ESP system. Won't harm anything just all the lights will show on the dash.

I broke a wire during my ball joint install and was scared :eek:
All was well, nothing happened besides the lights and less engine breaking or whatever it's called,
I drove around for a week until I picked up a new $15 sensor and put it in. Very easy :)
This thread is old but looking at my post from the past, I don't see how mud or whatever can get on the sensor. The sensor itself is held inside the hub by a screw. It's sealed so dirt on the sensor means dirt in the hub. This would not be good.

My guess just a faulty sensor and they are very easy to replace.

Ken

·
Registered
169 Posts
kjeeper10 said:
If you know the suspect sensor just unplug it. Buying for time?, cut the wire.

By doing so totally disables the abs/ESP system. Won't harm anything just all the lights will show on the dash.

I broke a wire during my ball joint install and was scared :eek:
All was well, nothing happened besides the lights and less engine breaking or whatever it's called,
I drove around for a week until I picked up a new $15 sensor and put it in. Very easy :)
This thread is old but looking at my post from the past, I don't see how mud or whatever can get on the sensor. The sensor itself is held inside the hub by a screw. It's sealed so dirt on the sensor means dirt in the hub. This would not be good.

My guess just a faulty sensor and they are very easy to replace.

Ken
Yeah I love bringing up the past seems to repeat its self.

That's good to know its covered under factory warranty. But just trying to figure out why it was random and hasn't happened again.

I hate electronics, can't live without them but a pain to live with them....oh wait that's women never mind.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Check out my issues here.

Dealer just called me and advised my 2012 needed a new ABS module. They installed it, but I won't be able to see it for myself until later this month when I get home...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts