Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving my Jeep around town, I often have issues with the ABS engaging even when just simply slowing down and hitting a bump in the road at the same time. These are not slam on the brakes instances or even big bumps but it seems when I hit something in the road while braking, the ABS kicks in and my brake pedal goes all the way to the floor.

Anyone have an idea why this is happening and what I can do to stop it? I've driven a lot of cars with ABS and never experienced this before.

Wheels are 17" with 33 inch tires, no TPS although this happened on the original 31" tires the Jeep came with also.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Make sure you have your brake fluid reading above min line in your reservoir. I had similar issues with a different vehicle because it was low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
913 Posts
Too much air pressure? I run 26 -28 psi.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I get ABS & ESC triggers often, but the pedal never hits the floor or comes anywhere near it! Triggering after hitting a bump makes me think that the wheel is losing traction after the bump, so the ABS is doing its job. But for most bumps, you shouldn't be losing traction.

What condition are your tyres & shocks in? Worn tyres, (or OEM GSA's), could have poor traction, or worn out shocks could contribute to the tyres not staying on the ground.

·
Registered
810 Posts
While driving my Jeep around town, I often have issues with the ABS engaging even when just simply slowing down and hitting a bump in the road at the same time. These are not slam on the brakes instances or even big bumps but it seems when I hit something in the road while braking, the ABS kicks in and my brake pedal goes all the way to the floor.

Anyone have an idea why this is happening and what I can do to stop it? I've driven a lot of cars with ABS and never experienced this before.

Wheels are 17" with 33 inch tires, no TPS although this happened on the original 31" tires the Jeep came with also.
Maybe it has a sensor going bad, or a sensor was replaced with an inferior part.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is your steering wheel centered? If out of tolerance it can make the computer think you are in a skid when breaking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts