Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night while frolicking in the snow, I noticed on a steep downhill my ABS kicked in. It was the first time I've ever felt that and it felt really strange and almost like i was harming my jeep :p. I know it's there for a reason, but I've heard of some people disconnecting the fuse for this during the winter (not necessarily in Jeeps).

Thoughts?

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
You'd be foolish to disconnect it. What would the winter have to do with it? There is no way you could possibly pump the brake faster than the computer can cycle it.

·
Registered
790 Posts
You'd be foolish to disconnect it. What would the winter have to do with it? There is no way you could possibly pump the brake faster than the computer can cycle it.
While true, ABS is worthless on ice, and locking up the wheels can help in snow. Building up mounds of snow in front will stop it faster than the ABS trying to prevent lockup (same applies in gravel).

That said, if you're keeping your following distances and speeds reasonable, this shouldn't be an issue. In my prior ABS equipped vehicles, if it kicked in, I screwed up. And in the specialized case where two wheels are on snow/ice and two aren't, ABS will help tremendously to keep it going straight.

I wouldn't bother disconnecting it...even though there are some reasons to do so, they don't outweigh the benefits.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
The biggest mistake some individuals make with ABS is that when it kicks and they feel it pulse when it activates they take their foot off of the brake. By doing this they put themselves more at risk. The ABS will definately stop you a lot quicker and safer. Don't disconnect your ABS. Let it do it's job. I don't know what trans. you're running but with a 6spd. going down a steep hill in 2nd or 3rd gear you have significant control of your situation. I don't want to think that some would actually "disconnect" a great braking system. That's like saying I'm not going to wear a seat belt in case I get into an accident and "can't get out" of the vehicle. You're driving a Jeep and should hold yourself to a higher standard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts