Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Long time reader, first time poster. I thought I would start to document the rebuild of my 1991 YJ.

As my second son was turning 16, I thought "How cool would it be to have a Wrangler as a first car?". So, I started the hunt for a "small" project YJ that he and I could work on together. I found a local jeep that wasn't overpriced and drove it about 30 miles home. It was rough but had many of the things I was hoping for; a hard top, full steel doors, newer tires, 4.0L, automatic, with A/C.

I'll be honest, it's not the first time I had the thought. We had a 1992 YJ 5-speed, 4.0L when my oldest son was 16 and we loved it. Unfortunately, things didn't turn out the way I had hoped for that Jeep and we ended up selling it to buy an RV.

Skip forward about 8 years and, fortunately, I'm now in a position to take on a project that I've been wanting to do for a long time. I work in IT by trade so hard core auto repair isn't one of my strengths but cars have been in my blood since a very young age. I started with a simple goal: ensure the jeep would be safe, fun, reliable, and mildly capable off-road.

So...Here we go...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Monstaliner under the replacement '94 tub.

Monstaliner under the replacement '94 tub.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Frame Repair

Wow, was this frame much worse than I had hoped for. The front tube was completely rotten through and the rear spring shackle section was really bad. I found some replacement sections on ebay in order to complete the frame repair. I also coated the frame with Chassis Saver Black.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chassis Paint

Looks like a nice project. Nice looking tube your using. I have a 92 and the frame was way gone. So am currently prepping a donor frame. Waiting to see more on yours. Nice job so far. Do you like the chassis saver. Not sure what I am using yet.
IMO there are two choices on chassis paint; Chassis Saver or POR-15. I've only used Chassis Saver but I understand POR-15 is about the same. It's expensive either way but I think it's worth it. I don't plan on getting rid of this jeep any time soon.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yes. The smaller guages were pretty easy. The two larger ones require you to break the seal on the front glass. It was tricky and didn't look the best when I was done but it's all hidden by the bezel.
Ok thanks for info, I ordered same ones then. Looks great!

·
Registered
740 Posts
IMO there are two choices on chassis paint; Chassis Saver or POR-15. I've only used Chassis Saver but I understand POR-15 is about the same. It's expensive either way but I think it's worth it. I don't plan on getting rid of this jeep any time soon.
Nice build, I like the color choice. I used Frame Coater Kit from KBS Coatings and I'd recommend that you check it out. I haven't had it long... I don't even have the Jeep back together yet, but it's certainly worth looking in to.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Major milestone tonight. Tub is on the chassis! Also have many new parts installed: fuel pump, filter, SS braided fuel lines, SS hard brake lines, SS cat and cat-back exhaust, oxygen sensor, coolant hoses, thermostat, temp sensor,

Attachments

·
Registered
777 Posts
Major milestone tonight. Tub is on the chassis! Also have many new parts installed: fuel pump, filter, SS braided fuel lines, SS hard brake lines, SS cat and cat-back exhaust, oxygen sensor, coolant hoses, thermostat, temp sensor,
Looks great ! Getting closer !

1 - 20 of 22 Posts