Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my ac compressor pulley seems to be locked up. It already broke the belt once and I had a buddy try to start my Jeep and everything else is spinning but it... Questions are is it a hard job to do? Am I just replacing the pulley or the whole compressor and if I'm replacing the whole thing are there other models I can pull one off of to replace it with? New ones were over $300 and I really could find a lot cooler ways to use that money and I know you can buy a bypass pulley and not have ac but I don't want to do this again so I wanna get it right the first time lol. Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Do you have the AC on or off?

If on, the compressor is seized. Turn AC off, you'll be able to drive.

If off, the AC clutch bearing is shot. If it's this, not a big expense or that hard. You'll probably need to borrow a special tool from the parts store to get it off.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have the AC on or off? If on, the compressor is seized. Turn AC off, you'll be able to drive. If off, the AC clutch bearing is shot. If it's this, not a big expense or that hard. You'll probably need to borrow a special tool from the parts store to get it off.
Yeah the pulley is completely locked up. Ac on or off

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
It probably seized from a refrigerant leak where all of the refrigerant was eventually lost. The refrigerant contains the compressor's lubricant, its sole source of lubrication.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It probably seized from a refrigerant leak where all of the refrigerant was eventually lost. The refrigerant contains the compressor's lubricant, its sole source of lubrication.
It's blown cold air since I've got it and it randomly locked up over night. Went out the next morning started it then the best started squeezing and burning then finally broke and there was burnt rubber all over the ac pulley.

·
Registered
169 Posts
On my 2.5 1998, I was able to put the non a/c belt on and bypass the compressor until I got a new one. Might work with yours? Not sure tho. Just won't have a/c until it's fixed.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On my 2.5 1998, I was able to put the non a/c belt on and bypass the compressor until I got a new one. Might work with yours? Not sure tho. Just won't have a/c until it's fixed.
I was reallllly hoping I could do the same. The non ac diagram has an idler pulley in place of the ac pulley :(

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone got a link to a "how to" video? That would be way cool. Found me a compressor for $75 today from the salvage yard.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To the point of unplugging my ac lines but I don't wanna shoot ac refrigerant all over myself and into the air. (Highly illegal I'm pretty sure? Thanks Clinton haha) not sure how to capture it from the ac ports...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Well, pretty much have to get it to an a/c repair facility to recapture the refrigerant. Then, must have a vacuum pump ( constant vacuum for like 1 hour) to draw all the moisture out. The other issue is whether or not the old pump put metal flakes into your system. If it did, then the new pump won't last long. So, it's recommended to change dryer and there's a filter in the line somewhere and flush out the system with solvent of some kind. Then reassemble, draw vacuum. Then start adding the refrigerant, but there's a process for that too, so it's kinda tricky but can be done...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Here's the other thing, I don't understand why, when the a/c is off, it still won't spin. So, maybe you have a bad a/c clutch and a bad compressor? Anyway, replacing the clutch only and disconnecting the wires to the compressor should get you at least a drivable jeep until the complete system can be fixed.

·
Registered
15,658 Posts
If your AC happens to spring a leak and loose refrigerant you have broken no laws

Hoses sometimes rupture and they sure don't need government blessing or permission before they rupture

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, pretty much have to get it to an a/c repair facility to recapture the refrigerant. Then, must have a vacuum pump ( constant vacuum for like 1 hour) to draw all the moisture out. The other issue is whether or not the old pump put metal flakes into your system. If it did, then the new pump won't last long. So, it's recommended to change dryer and there's a filter in the line somewhere and flush out the system with solvent of some kind. Then reassemble, draw vacuum. Then start adding the refrigerant, but there's a process for that too, so it's kinda tricky but can be done...
So if I "spring a leak" and it loses the freon all I'll need to do is rent a vacuum pump from Autozone and let it sit for about a hour.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's the other thing, I don't understand why, when the a/c is off, it still won't spin. So, maybe you have a bad a/c clutch and a bad compressor? Anyway, replacing the clutch only and disconnecting the wires to the compressor should get you at least a drivable jeep until the complete system can be fixed.
I don't know either but it's completely locked up. Won't spin with it off or on.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If your AC happens to spring a leak and loose refrigerant you have broken no laws Hoses sometimes rupture and they sure don't need government blessing or permission before they rupture
well looks like I may have a leak tomorrow. Can't really afford to take it to a shop. Actually I couldn't drive there if I wanted to haha

·
Registered
169 Posts
well looks like I may have a leak tomorrow. Can't really afford to take it to a shop. Actually I couldn't drive there if I wanted to haha
Try and Google recharging an a/c unit. Should be something out there for that. I have done it, but I'm not an expert. Lol

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Try and Google recharging an a/c unit. Should be something out there for that. I have done it, but I'm not an expert. Lol
It doesn't leak I was kidding. I was wondering how to uncharge it legally without having to take it to a shop.

·
Registered
15,658 Posts
I remember I was driving home thru Texas in a suburban with front and rear AC and a hose to the rear blew and that whole mega charge of R12 was gone in about a minute

Before that I bought one of those propane tank size bottles of R12 when they only sold that size to us common folks and after a couple uses the crap valve let that whole tank leak out in the shed

Harmless but expensive but figured the dam regulators got what they deserved

Have tried freeze 12 and even roll your own propane isobutane mix now only have one R12 system left all others R134a

But in all my decades of AC repairs never ever found a need for an AC shop

But I guess adult decisions to do your own repairs is becoming a lost art in our new nanny state

·
Registered
741 Posts
This^^^^. Even with a locked compressor the clutch should allow the pulley to turn. If not you have other issues.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts