Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's hot in Texas right now so this is becoming a huge issue for me as I bounce between jobs sites several times a day.

At random sometimes when I start the jeep. The AC kicks in right away and then about 3 out 5 times the light on the AC knob blinks and blinks away for as long as up to a 60 seconds or more before the AC kicks on and air starts blowing.

It does not seem to be a hot cold issue. sometimes does it 1st thing in the morning sometimes 5 minutes after I have stopped exited the jeep and then returned to leave again in the middle of the day.

After it starts, it blows cold and there is no issues but here lately I have got in a bad habit of just leaving it running and locking with my second key.

I know it sounds whiny and if I were in shorts and a tank top I'd probably have the top off. But I have to wear full dress as work and when it's 100+ degrees out it can be over 120 or more in the car.

Anyone else experience this problem?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
:popcorn:

Reactions: wadewolf

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why yes it is. As you know or either just on mine. The AC compressor does NOT automatically start when the jeep is started even though it was on before I turned the key off. You have to push it on which as I stated 2 out of 4-5 times it will right after I start the engine.

However while the Defrost light is flashing. Pushing the AC button has no effect. It will not allow you to engage the compressor until the defrost light has quit blinking

BTW. This is a 2013 JK Sport 3.6L Freedom Edition with 77,000 miles. I just bought it 3 months ago and have already dumped 7K into it but it was mint when I bought it. The previous owner said he never even took the top off or put it in 4 wheel drive so it was a super find for 19,500 and not a scratch on it. but it has done this AC thing since day one for me otherwise I might suspect some of the wiring and upgrades I have done to it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Why yes it is. As you know or either just on mine. The AC compressor does NOT automatically start when the jeep is started even though it was on before I turned the key off. You have to push it on which as I stated 2 out of 4-5 times it will right after I start the engine.

However while the Defrost light is flashing. Pushing the AC button has no effect. It will not allow you to engage the compressor until the defrost light has quit blinking

BTW. This is a 2013 JK Sport 3.6L Freedom Edition with 77,000 miles. I just bought it 3 months ago and have already dumped 7K into it but it was mint when I bought it. The previous owner said he never even took the top off or put it in 4 wheel drive so it was a super find for 19,500 and not a scratch on it. but it has done this AC thing since day one for me otherwise I might suspect some of the wiring and upgrades I have done to it.
My 2013 Sahara JKU does this as well. I figured that it was like a "cooldown" period before the AC or heater would come on. It has never started right away for me... Subbed to hear others responses

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Had this issue as well. 2014 JK Sport S. Just under 34k miles when acted up.

Here is the tech report from the dealership:

"Customer states defrost light flashes and doesn't allow fan to kick on. Clears itself after 60 to 120 seconds, then unit works fine until restart".

Action taken:
33981 - Actuator calibration. Scan codes: B11C-92 FRONT MODE DOOR 1 CONTROL - PERFORMANCE OR INCORREST OPERATION - stored. Check wiring and connectors = no issues found. Perform actuator calibration and test operation = still has defroster button flashing at start up. Re-scan codes = none present. Control head faulty - parts ordered. Replace heater - A/C control head and test for proper operation = operates properly.

Parts Ordered = (1) 68197433AB CONTROL - A/C AND HEATER

Replacement of the controller eliminated the flashing defrost light as well. Can't comment on costs as warranty covered. But the controller must be a plug & play module as the labor charge to replace was noted at .25 hr. (exclusive of diagnosing problem).

·
Registered
899 Posts
I had the HVAC control module issue - bought it online for around $120 bucks and took all of ten minutes to install.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

Dealer ticket you listed says 60-120 seconds mine doesn't seem to be that long yet but it did it every single time today, I just thought I was noticing it more because it was so hot our but it seems to be getting worse. I did however find the part here for 44.99

https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts/mopar-control-a-c-and-heater~68197433ab.html

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the reply. Unless it gets really bad I am not sure it's worth over a 100.00 right now but for 44.99 I will probably order the part and see if that fixes it and update the forum with results.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Keep in mind that the HVAC controller varies based on our model. There are like five different part numbers - depending on if you have rear defrost, auto climate, AC, etc.

Best bet would be to take yours out - look at the part number, and then replace it based on that.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Keep in mind that the HVAC controller varies based on our model. There are like five different part numbers - depending on if you have rear defrost, auto climate, AC, etc.

Best bet would be to take yours out - look at the part number, and then replace it based on that.
Good catch and advice. Forgot the auto climate control option.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
My 14 has the auto temp and I keep it on auto mode. It has a delay about 15-30 sec and I thought that was normal. Maybe not. When it does kick on it really works. I'll do more research on the delay.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts