Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for cheap shocks but good shocks, I was looking at Monroes but a lot of people dislike them and I know they don't seem to last very long. I still have my original shocks on my 04 Jeep with 120k+ miles on them. I like a soft ride but the Jeep is clunking and they're so soft anyone can shake the jeep around with their bare hands. Anyway I've been told a safe way to get good shocks is to find the cheapest oem brand in which this case the AC Delco's are only $35 a piece. Another thing is I have coil spacers that lift it about 1.5" and might get a 2-2.5" lift in the future but undecided (to replace the coil spacers) so anyone know if these are possible to get 2" longer?

Im not paying more than 50/60 a piece for shocks

·
Registered
237 Posts
I just put a Rubicon Express 2" lift with spacers and new RE shocks for $189 through eBay. The shocks I took off were the original and one was collapsed. It was a cheap lift and new shocks for a little money. Not much for off road, but gives a good ride. We'll have to see how they hold up, but reviews of REs budget lifts weren't bad.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Looking for cheap shocks but good shocks, I was looking at Monroes but a lot of people dislike them and I know they don't seem to last very long. I still have my original shocks on my 04 Jeep with 120k+ miles on them. I like a soft ride but the Jeep is clunking and they're so soft anyone can shake the jeep around with their bare hands. Anyway I've been told a safe way to get good shocks is to find the cheapest oem brand in which this case the AC Delco's are only $35 a piece. Another thing is I have coil spacers that lift it about 1.5" and might get a 2-2.5" lift in the future but undecided (to replace the coil spacers) so anyone know if these are possible to get 2" longer? Im not paying more than 50/60 a piece for shocks
I got the 3"coil spacers for my jeep with new shocks. Finally can fit 33" tires on now 😄

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Im not paying more than 50/60 a piece for shocks
Good luck, then. Below that you're really only left with white body shocks, which are all the same. Quality starts around $60. Skyjacker currently has a rebate on their shocks, so they should come in around 50 each for their monotubes.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Maybe try zone shocks. People like their lift kits and say that they are good quality so I'm sure the shocks are at least decent if not better.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the 3"coil spacers for my jeep with new shocks. Finally can fit 33" tires on now 😄
You didnt need anything else? All the kits I see for over 2" have a track bar mount and a bunch of other crap. If all is good I might put 3" in the front and 2" in the back (currently have 2" in front and 1" in back)

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
You didnt need anything else? All the kits I see for over 2" have a track bar mount and a bunch of other crap. If all is good I might put 3" in the front and 2" in the back (currently have 2" in front and 1" in back)
Considering your budget for shocks, you really don't need anything else to run a 2" lift. If you're going for the minimalist approach and not going off road, then you can get a set of shocks that are the stock length. Won't make a difference on the street.

Would not go with a 3" spacer. That's a whole other can of worms. Particularly that at that height you risk creating too steep of a drive line angle, which requires you drop the skid place an inch or so lower at the very least.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I run Delcos on both an S10 and full size Chevy; no probs, affordable, reliable. Have never ridden them on a Wrangler, so I don't know about the overall ride.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts