Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a 92 wrangler yj 4.0L and it is low on freon some but dont know if it takes r12 or 134a freon. I dont have a manual for the jeep so where can i get one from internet and also what kind of freon does it take????

Thanks

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
a 92 would have R12 in it, but they make a change over kit to use the newer stuff because R12 is next to impossible to get anymore.

I believe that the 134A is being phased out as well.

Check with you local auto parts store, they should be able to get you the kit and the 1LB cans of Freon.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
1994-1995 are R-134a Factory equipped. 1987-1993 are factory R12 equipped however yours may have been retrofitted ti R-134a. The easiest way to tell is if the service ports have a cap with screw threads on the outside of the fitting underneath it is still a R-12 system if the service port has no threads on the outside it has ben retrofitted to R-134a.DO NOT add R-134a to a system that has not been properly retrofitted, it may work for a while but SERIOUS damage WILL occur sooner than later.BTW I am an ASE certified A/C tech (retired) and have extensive experience with retrofits.Feel free to pm me with any questions .Good Luck

·
Registered
332 Posts
There should be a refrigerant ID sticker under the hood. 92 is safe to assume is r12 because Chrysler didn't move to R134-A until 93. Careful with those so called conversion kits.....if all parts aren't switched out it may not work very well. Also if you do make sure you flush the system because if the R12 & R134-A mix it'll throw the pressures off and you'll have huge issues.

·
Registered
332 Posts
1994-1995 are R-134a Factory equipped. 1987-1993 are factory R12 equipped however yours may have been retrofitted ti R-134a. The easiest way to tell is if the service ports have a cap with screw threads on the outside of the fitting underneath it is still a R-12 system if the service port has no threads on the outside it has ben retrofitted to R-134a.DO NOT add R-134a to a system that has not been properly retrofitted, it may work for a while but SERIOUS damage WILL occur sooner than later.BTW I am an ASE certified A/C tech (retired) and have extensive experience with retrofits.Feel free to pm me with any questions .Good Luck
Excellent advice!

·
Registered
568 Posts
R 12 is not impossible to find. its all over craigslist. R 134a is not as cold and the system will never be as goo as an r 12 system. you can retro fit the system to accept r134

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
it has not been retrofitted and the previous owner painted some spray can flat black all over the stickers under the hood so i couldnt read them

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
R 12 is not impossible to find. its all over craigslist. R 134a is not as cold and the system will never be as goo as an r 12 system. you can retro fit the system to accept r134
A PROPERLY retrofitted system WILL perform as good as a R-12 system.
Retrofitting is more than changing fittings,oil and refrigerant.All the parts in the system have to be in top notch condition,a modern condenser, a compressor in great condition and the appropriate expansion device.I have done literally thousands of retrofits and the only ones that were problematic were ones that the customer wanted to cheap out on.Once all the other demons are exorcized from my jeep I plan on adding A/C and you can bet it will be an ice cold R134a system.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well, apparently some '94s did have R12. My ports have threads :(

I'm going to talk to a local shop & see what they say about converting my existing system over vs. buying a whole kit. Estimates are free ;)

·
Registered
15,661 Posts
Look at stickers or the fittings.

My daughter has a 1992 YJ purchased new with dealer installed AC that was R134 originally so anyone who says they know all 1992 came with R12 are under informed at best

One giveaway that it is dealer installed is the vertical vs horizontal bolts mounting the compressor

So check fitting or labels plus be aware that some were unfortunately changed over latter in vehicle life

For the few R12 vehicles I still own I think propane/isobutane is a more system friendly substitute then anything else but it is flammable and not EPA approved so proceed at your own risk

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,678 Posts
No matter what your Jeep is currently filled with, I strongly suggest you use R134.
If a conversion is necessary to use the R134, it will still be cheaper than trying to source R12 (And according to the liberal climate warming alarmists, better for our environment).

An A/C technician once told me that all you really need to do to convert is evacuate the system and replace the receiver/dryer and add lubricant. Read Mowranglers #13 post. He seems to know what he is talking about and his statement confirms my thinking.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
15,661 Posts
They are planning to also place out r134 plus it does not play well with the mineral oil residue in R12 plus the pag pig issues I would never convert an R12 to R134 if I wanted system to last

Some methods are better than others but none of the conversion methods short of a new system are optimal for r12 going to R134

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Digger84 is correct. Mine was converted to R134 and after some time, it started to deteriorate the internal layers of the hoses.

·
Super Moderator
12,678 Posts
They are planning to also place out r134 plus it does not play well with the mineral oil residue in R12 plus the pag pig issues I would never convert an R12 to R134 if I wanted system to last

Some methods are better than others but none of the conversion methods short of a new system are optimal for r12 going to R134

What's pag pig?

·
Registered
15,661 Posts
Should say pag pog but the dang spell fixed messed with it

They PAG POG are the oil types used with r134a

1 - 20 of 23 Posts