Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My AC stopped getting cold last summer about two or three weeks after a recharge. I didn't have the money to fix anything on it so I just dealt with the heat. I took it in about three weeks ago and my mechanic replaced some sort of cap in the line (can't remember the name of it but it was only like a couple of bucks). He recharged the system and when I picked it up it was cold as can be. Now about three weeks later its just blowing air, not getting cold AGAIN. I don't really know anything about the AC but I guess now is a good time to learn...does anyone know what might be wrong with it and how to fix it? Thanks!

Forgot to mention, I have an '01, Sport, 6cyl, 5spd manual, and it does have AC lol (got lucky there when I bought it)

·
Registered
15,685 Posts
probably 134A leaked out

need to first verify that Freon level is low then find and repair leak then evacuate and refill and if it was loss of 134a and leak is fixed you should be good to go

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
probably 134A leaked out need to first verify that Freon level is low then find and repair leak then evacuate and refill and if it was loss of 134a and leak is fixed you should be good to go
Couple of question...what's 134a? And is the leak most likely going to be in a line somewhere...? Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
615 Posts
If it's only been 3 weeks take it back & have them recheck the system,If they put dye in the system when they recharged it the leak source can be detected with a UV light.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is the carcinogenic refrigerant the goberment forced upon auto ac units after they added good
So its the freeon basically? Gotcha

If it's only been 3 weeks take it back & have them recheck the system,If they put dye in the system when they recharged it the leak source can be detected with a UV light.
Thanks! I'll call him and see what he says!

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I had to separate all the connections on mine to replace the O rings at each joint to stop the leak.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Look at all the line joints. Look for any oil residue.

You can buy a r134 recharge kit from the local parts store.
Get a can that has the dye in it.
Charge it up and drive it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had to separate all the connections on mine to replace the O rings at each joint to stop the leak.
Look at all the line joints. Look for any oil residue.

You can buy a r134 recharge kit from the local parts store.
Get a can that has the dye in it.
Charge it up and drive it.
I try doing this...thanks!

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
If you have no experience working with a/c, I highly suggest you take it back to the same mechanic and have him recharge and check for leaks, which he should've done in the first place. I have a suspicion it's leaking from the valve and the mechanic got lazy and just put a new cap on it instead of fixing it. A/C work is highly pressured and hazardous,especially if you don't have the proper equipment and know how to handle it. Take it in.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you have no experience working with a/c, I highly suggest you take it back to the same mechanic and have him recharge and check for leaks, which he should've done in the first place. I have a suspicion it's leaking from the valve and the mechanic got lazy and just put a new cap on it instead of fixing it. A/C work is highly pressured and hazardous,especially if you don't have the proper equipment and know how to handle it. Take it in.
After having looked at some stuff this morning I think I'm going to take it in...all of the vacuum and line stuff confuses me, plus what you said about the pressurized stuff, I don't have the stuff for that

1 - 13 of 13 Posts