Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Fields of pain is where I graze
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never used my AC in the jeep and was wondering if there would be any type of power gain if I remove it.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
immeasurably small if anything.
As long as the clutch is working properly on the compressor there should be very little drag.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
If you really don't want to have A/C in the vehicle, why not convert it to an on-board air system. You've already got the expensive parts and they're already mounted for you.

Here's a link to a write-up using a factory A/C compressor as a base for an OBA system.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
One thing you can do, is use the compressor from the AC to be an onboard Air compressor. Let me see if I can find the write up on how to do that....

Here it is...Click here

·
Registered
576 Posts
If you really don't want to have A/C in the vehicle, why not convert it to an on-board air system. You've already got the expensive parts and they're already mounted for you.

Here's a link to a write-up using a factory A/C compressor as a base for an OBA system.
One thing you can do, is use the compressor from the AC to be an onboard Air compressor. Let me see if I can find the write up on how to do that....

Here it is...Click here
Now that is just funny

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Damn, can you tell that this group has picked the internet apart for ideas...that is just too funny that within a minute of each other the two of us said the same thing and also referenced the same website...out of the billions of websites...wow...

·
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Damn, can you tell that this group has picked the internet apart for ideas...that is just too funny that within a minute of each other the two of us said the same thing and also referenced the same website...out of the billions of websites...wow...
Must be a Jeep thing. :D

Thanks for the site.

·
3,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Too bad I like my AC in this 100+ weather
With just a safari top to keep the sun off my precious head, it's not bad at all. I thought it would give me a little more room under the hood and maybe gain a little power. I really like the air compressor idea though.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Great minds think alike.....

I'd love to do this conversion, but trying to convince my wife that the OBA will add more to the value of the Jeep than I'll loose by taking out the A/C has been a fruitless endeavor.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Great minds think alike.....

I'd love to do this conversion, but trying to convince my wife that the OBA will add more to the value of the Jeep than I'll loose by taking out the A/C has been a fruitless endeavor.
You should only care about value if you plan on selling it. You aren't are you? :eek:

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
You should only care about value if you plan on selling it. You aren't are you? :eek:
I'm actually planning to be buried in it......

I'm not really talking about re-sale value; I'm talking about the usefulness of it. My Jeeps primary functions are as our tow car for the motor home and my daily driver. My wife has been very tolerant of the mods I've made so far, because I can still use it as my DD and we still tow it behind the motor home. Without an air conditioner, driving it every day in the So Cal summer heat would be a problem. Plus using it at the river in August (115 +) would be unbearable. Hence, keeping the A/C and carrying a portable compressor is the only good option......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts