Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My radio started cutting in and out and acting generally odd from time to time, since I just bought it back in March, Crutchfield was nice enough to send me a replacement unit (great company, love them).
When I pulled the old one out it dawned on me that the problem could be caused by the AC vent tubes in the dash sweating onto the radio. There is nothing there to stop it from dripping right into the radio. I know the AC sweats, it builds up all around the vents and I have had the cold water drip onto my foot on occasion, the humidity here in Louisiana is really bad. lol

So I need ideas on some way to prevent the water from getting onto the new radio. Maybe some sort of drip pan or insulation. I don't want anything to hold the moisture and start growing mold...

Ideas?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Dragonii said:
Ok, am I the only one that has experienced this problem?
I don't think it's happened yet, but I'd be shocked if I don't run into the same issue eventually. One way or the other, I took a decent donor head unit from my wife's car we traded in earlier this year (put factory back in that) and didn't figure it would even last this long.

Here are my potential solutions when rain/AC condensation/theft doom this one: 1. Marine radio that can handle some splashing. 2. Blank face where the radio goes, and a hidden amplifier (likely I'd need a preamp/DA converter too) and a simple aux input somewhere inconspicuous. I rarely use anything but my iPhone as a source anyway. 3. Go all out with a touch-screen nav unit.

That's pretty much in order of likelihood.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think it's happened yet, but I'd be shocked if I don't run into the same issue eventually. One way or the other, I took a decent donor head unit from my wife's car we traded in earlier this year (put factory back in that) and didn't figure it would even last this long.

Here are my potential solutions when rain/AC condensation/theft doom this one: 1. Marine radio that can handle some splashing. 2. Blank face where the radio goes, and a hidden amplifier (likely I'd need a preamp/DA converter too) and a simple aux input somewhere inconspicuous. I rarely use anything but my iPhone as a source anyway. 3. Go all out with a touch-screen nav unit.

That's pretty much in order of likelihood.
I already have the head unit, Crutchfield sent me a new one to replace it.
It's a JVC Arsenal KD-AHD75BT , very nice unit so I won't be replacing it.

JVC Arsenal KD-AHD75BT CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wrap the vent that is dripping with A/C Expansion Valve Tape (Most Good Auto Parts Stores will sell it) Sticky Black tape about 1/8" thick & 1.5 or 2" wide it streches & will stick to it's self. Kids @ Auto Zone will likely not know what it is but NAPA or Car Quest should be able to fix you up.
Like This:Tacky Tape Black Insulating Wraps Around Expansion Valve 21 0617 | eBay
That's the kind of ideas that I am looking for.

I used to work at Autozone (NAPA and Advance as well), I know exactly what you are talking about. In both cases. lol

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wrap the vent that is dripping with A/C Expansion Valve Tape (Most Good Auto Parts Stores will sell it) Sticky Black tape about 1/8" thick & 1.5 or 2" wide it streches & will stick to it's self. Kids @ Auto Zone will likely not know what it is but NAPA or Car Quest should be able to fix you up.
Like This:Tacky Tape Black Insulating Wraps Around Expansion Valve 21 0617 | eBay
Oh, I just thought about it, I have some Peel & Seal in storage... you think that would work?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Plasti Dip your radio!!!!!! You know how everyone around here loves Plasti Dip, can't believe it hasn't been mentioned already. Freakin slackers.

Actually, I'm not sure why more of us don't seem to have this issue. After all, we all have the same exact setup, guess the humidity in your state puts foot to ass.
I think the expansion valve tape will do as far as trying to keep water from dripping straight down on your radio, however, won't it eventually get water logged and give the same problems?
Or setup a mold growing ground inside your dash?

These are just questions and I in no way know the answers (but would like to if someone has them), just trying to help think of all possibilities and outcomes.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Plasti Dip your radio!!!!!! You know how everyone around here loves Plasti Dip, can't believe it hasn't been mentioned already. Freakin slackers.

Actually, I'm not sure why more of us don't seem to have this issue. After all, we all have the same exact setup, guess the humidity in your state puts foot to ass.
I think the expansion valve tape will do as far as trying to keep water from dripping straight down on your radio, however, won't it eventually get water logged and give the same problems?
Or setup a mold growing ground inside your dash?

These are just questions and I in no way know the answers (but would like to if someone has them), just trying to help think of all possibilities and outcomes.
The humidity down here is awful. I left the doors and windows off the other night and I had a small puddle of water in my floor mat the next morning, and it did not rain.
Plasti-dip.... you may have an idea there. Pretty sure I have some of that too. lol

I may try the Peel & Seal. I think I can cut it to just the right size and since it does have a water proof plastic backing it would in worse case scenario act as a drip pan and allow the water to flow down past the radio.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts