Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen in a few threads people are making a Mesh grill insert, painting their interior trim etc etc..

I want to do this, but none of the posts i've seen state what kind of paint/spray paint their using??

I don't want something thats going to rub off, chip, or not handle the heat.

if you've done this, what kind/brand of paint did you use?

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
For the interior trim I used Rustoleum for Plastics, which says it bonds better to plastic surfaces. I've had my vents/grab handle painted for almost a year now, and it still looks as good as the day I did it.

For the grill insert on Mike's jeep I just used normal Rustoleum spray paint. It's been painted almost two years and still looks good.

The only thing we've used 'special' spray paint for is the muffler/exhaust. When we painted those we used Rustoleum high temp spray paint.

Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
The Rustoleum for plastics mentioned about does work pretty well. I have a touch of OCD though and my buddy is a painter, had him do all my interior pieces with factory paint and clear...only charged me $200 which I think was well worth it. The DIY method will get the job done though, and most won't know the difference especially if you have a normal color; mine however is Billet Silver which is metallic so I knew it would be really difficult to get a match from a rattle can.

Here's the link if you wanted to see the end results http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/color-matched-center-dash-and-interior-pieces-1169433.html

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Quadratec (and other places) also sell the 5 oz cans of Mopar paint for $13ish. For my Anvil, that was the only way to go when I did my interior plastics/grabars/tow hooks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked on the Quadratec site for the molar paint, but they seem to just have factory jeep colours. I wanted to go more for a teal/turquoise colour!

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Google "House of Colors" they sell and custom mix nearly every auto color known to man and then some. They have everything from rattle cans to gallons. Poly, Enamel, Epoxy, High temp you name. Painted our poison spyder bumpers with their epoxy, poly and clear, the only problem is the finish is better than the rest of the JKU. they have a great tech line for help as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts