Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to wire up my kc lights and cb to accesory power so they will turn off when I turn off the key. Does anyone know where a good place to start? Any help greatly appreciated. My shop manual has magically disappeared.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Just make sure you are using a keyed source of power when working with the relays. For the lights you can use the cigarette lighter as power for the in cab switch, same with the CB but use a separate rely.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I can't help you with the cb part but for the switch they usually come with a switch so once you wire it all you have to do is flip the switch off.

·
Registered
188 Posts
in my 99 there are two wires behind the glove compartment that are switchable and non-switchable. At least i think i that was the verbage used on the labels. but basically you can use the switchable as on/off with the key and the switched for constant power to the source...

·
Registered
188 Posts
that is a badass write up!!! thanks for sharing!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Wired mine lights through a contacter to my high beams (and with a master switch)
With the switch on...whenever I activate my high beams the aux lights come on.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Fuse#19 should be a blank slot on your Jeep. There is a wire from there that is just taped to the harness that is a switched power source. Once you tap into that wire and add a fuse, you have your switched power and haven't cut into the stock wiring harness, or added a lot of extra stuff.
Most folks take the CB directly to the battery for power, as it is a "cleaner" signal that way, and won't interfere with your radio. You could also look for the wire at Fuse#18 (also taped to the harness). That is a constant "hot" 12vdc power supply and can be used for an aux power port. Installing the CB there would mean that you have to remember to turn it off when not in use.
Hope this helps out some!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fuse#19 should be a blank slot on your Jeep. There is a wire from there that is just taped to the harness that is a switched power source. Once you tap into that wire and add a fuse, you have your switched power and haven't cut into the stock wiring harness, or added a lot of extra stuff.
Most folks take the CB directly to the battery for power, as it is a "cleaner" signal that way, and won't interfere with your radio. You could also look for the wire at Fuse#18 (also taped to the harness). That is a constant "hot" 12vdc power supply and can be used for an aux power port. Installing the CB there would mean that you have to remember to turn it off when not in use.
Hope this helps out some!
Hey Thanks that helps out alot as soon as I leave work today i am going to check for theose wires!!! I didnt want to mutilate the harness want to keep it neat and organized with aftermarket extras!! Thanks again T.J.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts