Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was being neglectful when reversing out of my driveway and hit a car going about 40mph on my residential street. Anyway my insurance is going to cover the repairs. The only think hurt on my jeep is my tailgate/tire. The tailgate still opens just fine. My only question is if I should have the insurance fix the tailgate or should I get a swinging tire carrier and leave the tailgate as is.

Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'd say ur pretty lucky. If the funds are there, get a swinging. Just remember insurance will likely increase

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I had to claim it either way. Any suggestions on a good swinging tire carrier? I already have a nice rear bumper. Would I have to replace that with a swinging carrier?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Either replace or just buy the carrier and fab your current bumper with a swinging hinge

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'd say ur pretty lucky. If the funds are there, get a swinging. Just remember insurance will likely increase
I'd say you're so much more than just lucky! From what I can tell from those pics, it hardly looks like you were even bumped into.

If you were a cat, you just lost 1 life!!

Either replace or just buy the carrier and fab your current bumper with a swinging hinge
+1

·
Registered
535 Posts

Unless your really good at fab & welding - Sell yours and get a new good quality bumper & tire carrier combo. All the weight of that spare (especially if you ever decide to go with bigger tires) is on that swing pin. Just welding a pin to the top of your bumper, or using some aftermarket bolt on, is a recipe for disaster. Over time offroading, and just general driving around will stress those points and cause something to fail. Should the tire fall off on the highway, or even on a sideroad, you'll be filing another claim with the insurance! Search thru the threads, there's been plenty posted about issues with failed tire carriers!

Just a couple I found in 10 seconds of searching.........

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/custom-rear-tire-carrier-broken-108704.html

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/broken-tire-carrier-1110894/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/smittybilt-tire-carrier-weld-broke-1062320/

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Mount the tire in the bed and pull off the rest would be the cheapest option, swing out would be option two if you plan on going up in size later. Otherwise, get on eBay and see if you can find the factory pieces you need on the cheap.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
OR-Fab makes one also but its not the exact one I was thinking of either. cant find an image of it anywhere. it connects on the tailgate hinges and opens with your tailgate. so it keeps the tailgate hidden, figured that would be perfect for the OP.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts