Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got hit the other day leaving the parking lot at the mall. I got hit directly on my left side front tire rim and was pushed sideways. The car that hit me scratched all underneath the doors and then ended up at my back side left tire scratching my fender. Now that I have been driving my jeep for a couple days I have noticed my steering wheel is not straight when driving and when parked. Waiting on insurance to take over. Any suggestions I feel like I should stop driving it.

·
Registered
7,867 Posts
Welcome from Arizona.

·
Super Moderator
10,640 Posts
Moved thread to JK forums

Moved this thread to JK forums since you have a 2015 JK.

Welcome to WF!

·
Registered
256 Posts
A friend of mine was hit in the same location on his JK as well. The insurance replaced his front axle and fender. You mentioned your steering wheel was off centre. You also may have to have your axel inspected. However his hood alignment near the front cowl still seems a little off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,688 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Dt101,

The adjuster's job is to get your vehicle repaired as cheaply as possible. This may result in shortcuts being taken that might not be in your best interest. For instance, if your axle is bent, the adjuster might figure a used axle. It could be an axle from a vehicle with much higher mileage than your Jeep.

Before the adjuster comes out, I suggest you take the Jeep to the dealer and have them do an estimate. Typically dealers can find things that some shops that work on all makes and models might miss. The mechanics at the dealer see the same vehicles day after day and if anything is amiss I think they're more likely to find it.
The cosmetics of your Jeep are important, but no matter how good it looks, if there's unrepaired mechanical damage from the accident it might not show up until much later.

I'd also start looking for a top quality body shop to take care of any body damage.
I'd Google "auto body shop" in your general area and read the reviews. I wouldn't put a lot of value in the reviews on a particular shop's website. Rather, I'd look on the BBB website and especially on independent review websites like Yelp or similar.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: AAONMS and BigSkyJK

·
Registered
325 Posts
The steering wheel being off when you go straight will mess with the traction control system. Depends on how far off it is.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Yes, you should definitely stop driving it until you get it inspected by a body shop and/or adjuster. Good chance that you've bent some pretty important hardware under there such as control arms, track bar, tie rods not to mention maybe even the frame or axle.

Reactions: Lusus_Naturae

·
Premium Member
494 Posts

The adjuster's job is to get your vehicle repaired as cheaply as possible. This may result in shortcuts being taken that might not be in your best interest. For instance, if your axle is bent, the adjuster might figure a used axle. It could be an axle from a vehicle with much higher mileage than your Jeep.

Before the adjuster comes out, I suggest you take the Jeep to the dealer and have them do an estimate. Typically dealers can find things that some shops that work on all makes and models might miss. The mechanics at the dealer see the same vehicles day after day and if anything is amiss I think they're more likely to find it.
The cosmetics of your Jeep are important, but no matter how good it looks, if there's unrepaired mechanical damage from the accident it might not show up until much later.

I'd also start looking for a top quality body shop to take care of any body damage.
I'd Google "auto body shop" in your general area and read the reviews. I wouldn't put a lot of value in the reviews on a particular shop's website. Rather, I'd look on the BBB website and especially on independent review websites like Yelp or similar.

Good Luck, L.M.
Good advice to which I’d add to check with any local clubs to see whether or not they have any recommendations of shops to use or to avoid.

2,795 Posts

Good Luck, L.M.

We actually just went through this. we deal with a lot of wrecked Jeeps. The one we just finished with was the exact same hit just A LOT harder and insurance chose to fix it. The Jeep was hit so hard the front drive shaft was touching the frame and the control arms went into the motor.

The reason they guy brought it to us is because we see jeeps everyday and we know what needs to be fixed CORRECTLY. Luckily we have a really good relationship with the Adjuster and he used all new parts and prices to fix it.

·
Super Moderator
12,688 Posts
We actually just went through this. we deal with a lot of wrecked Jeeps. The one we just finished with was the exact same hit just A LOT harder and insurance chose to fix it. The Jeep was hit so hard the front drive shaft was touching the frame and the control arms went into the motor.

The reason they guy brought it to us is because we see jeeps everyday and we know what needs to be fixed CORRECTLY. Luckily we have a really good relationship with the Adjuster and he used all new parts and prices to fix it.
I retired from the auto body business, with the last 20 years of my career as a body shop owner/manager.
Most insurance adjusters are decent folks, but they're not technicians. They rely on the shops to point out what's often called "hidden damage".
If the shop doesn't point out the hidden damage like what Austin found on his customer's Jeep, it doesn't get fixed.
That's why I suggested a dealer. I should have also stated specialty shops like Krawl Off-Road are a good alternative to dealerships.
I don't rely on any shops website reviews. I go to an independent review site like Yelp or BBB to see what prior customers have to say.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Luckymac,
In your experience, if a Jeep has aftermarket parts that get damaged in an accident, does the appraisal cover the costs for OEM parts or the aftermarket?

·
Registered
844 Posts
sort of similar incident on my steep mountain road, the brake/transmission in 2nd gear did not hold the Wrangler and it took off and ended on a rock on the left front. Not something to turn in to insurance. Steering was way off and looked at suspension and even adjusted the track bar and got steering centered but just knew it was not right. Took to a local shop with a guy who knows jeeps. Turned out to be traction bar was bent but hard for me to see as they have a slight curve. New bar, balance tire/alignment fixed. Cost @$300+.

·
Super Moderator
12,688 Posts
Luckymac,
In your experience, if a Jeep has aftermarket parts that get damaged in an accident, does the appraisal cover the costs for OEM parts or the aftermarket?
You have one of two situations. There's a whole lot more that applies to each situation, but here's a general rule.
Situation 1) Vehicle owners collision company is paying. Usually a one vehicle accident or the owner is at fault.
Terms of the policy apply. Most insurance policies state the coverage excludes aftermarket modifications. Some adjusters are more knowledgeable than others. If a Jeep has a small lift and slightly larger tires, usually you can squeak by. If a modification is offered by the factory or is a dealer installed option it should be covered.
If an aftermarket bumper gets damaged, they owe you for a bumper. Usually they'll pay for the less expensive of the two. Labor should be the same unless there's a winch involved. How that goes is usually up to the individual adjuster.
Most insurance companies offer additional coverage for accessories at an additional price.
Some insurance companies exclude off road damage or damage caused in "competitions", legal or not. You might even be able to buy coverage for those things too. Talk to your agent or an agent at another insurance company. It's good to shop coverage for all your belongings every couple years or so just to make sure you're getting a fair price. I wouldn't switch companies for a few dollars a month if I had a good agent (which I do).

Situation 2) The other guy's company is paying. The laws of your state apply, but generally, they owe you to return the vehicle to "Pre-loss condition". This means anything that was caused in the accident should be covered. An adjuster might tell you your aftermarket accessories aren't covered. A letter to your states Insurance Commissioner should fix this.
Always be firm and calm. Don't be afraid to consult an attorney if the dollars to do so make sense.

Both situations...."Pre-loss condition". If your paint is faded or your tires are worn, the shop can't spray faded or dull paint, nor will most shops install used tires.
That means whatever gets painted will have new shiny paint or the tires will be new. In most states the insurance company will only pay for the unused part of the tire (like a tire warranty where it's called "Pro rated"). The insurance company will call it "betterment". If only one or two panels get painted most adjusters won't apply betterment to the paint. That's one reason to always be polite (firm, but polite). If the entire vehicle gets painted and the old paint wasn't in good shape, usually betterment will apply, usually in the form of a percentage of final cost of paint.
Betterment usually applies to wear items like shocks, struts, soft tops and some other mechanical items.

I suggest to always keep a folder of receipts for everything. That's called "documentation". If you do all your own mods, put a note on each receipt of the time it took you to do the work. That way you'll remember what each mod cost what mods you have. It's easy to forget that adjustable track bar or a trailer hitch wiring adapter.

In total loss situations look for comparable vehicles on Craigslist, your local Pennysaver or used car guide. NADA or Kelly Blue Book prices are for stock vehicles with stock factory add ons. That's why you should save all your receipts, to prove why your vehicle is worth more than a stock Jeep. Actually go to look at a few comparable vehicles and take pics of the ones you look at. In most states they owe for the cost of the vehicle plus sales tax and title transfer fee.
When dealing with an insurance company on a loss, especially a total loss, "He who has the best documentation Wins".
Again, don't be shy about consulting a lawyer. A couple hundred bucks spent getting advice might add several hundred dollars to your settlement. Knowing the law if the other guy's company is paying is real important.
Knowing your policy if it's your company that's paying is equally important.

There's a lot more to it, but that's the basics. Every state's insurance regulations are a bit different.
No Fault usually applies to bodily injure, not damage to property.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
622 Posts
In addition to what Luckymac put so well, if a vehicle is a total loss and you have lots of money in mods, ask what the buy back is. My son was involved in a relatively minor side swipe of a truck with our 10 year old Fusion. Every panel on the passenger side was involved, but it was all minor with a replacement mirror from the junkyard being the only thing I needed to actually buy. The car was totaled and the buy back was 10% of the amount they'd pay me and also, I would not receive tax/registration fees. This can be a really cheap way to keep your modifications. Buy yourself a replacement Jeep with the insurance money and wrench away, if you have the room/tools/ability. Sell off parts you don't need and when all is done, scrap steel is around 6 cents a pound.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Oh no Jack, say it isn't so. A 2000 lb jeep is worth $120.00 at six cents per pound.

I thought that was funny. hope you all do too.

Something we all paid tens of thousands for is actually worth a buc twenty.

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts
Could be something as simple as a bent tie rod. See what the adjuster says, but get a second and third opinion from reputable shops.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts