Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my ACE rear bumper and tire carrier for about a year now, its a great bumper and tire carrier for the price, however, I am starting to have some concerns. After the install, I had a rattle, but didn't worry too much about it until I rotated my tires. When I rotated them, I tightened everything up and most of the rattle went away. When I rotated my tires the 2nd time, I had some strange marks on my tires from where it had rubbed on the tire carrier, so I readjusted everything again thinking that I had it too tight.

Last night, I was rotating my tires and noticed that the tire had the same rub marks from where it contacted the tire carrier. I also noticed that it looks like I might have tightened the carrier too tight against the tail gate because it looks as though my tailgate now has a small bend in it.

So my questions are:
  • Are the rub marks as seen in the pictures below on the tires considered normal?
  • Is there any way to get the bend out of my tailgate?
  • How do I properly adjust the tire carrier so that I can keep my tailgate from bending anymore and keep the tire from rubbing?

Any advice on how I can correctly get this tire carrier setup so that it doesn't rattle, doesn't bend my tailgate, and doesn't wear a hole in my tires would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
I've had mine on for about 10 months and do not have any of those issues. Tires look fine (rotated a few weeks ago) and I just went out to double check the tailgate and it is still flush. Never had an issue with rattling.

As an FYI, I'm running ST Maxx 295/70/17. I see you have the Duratrac 315's. Assuming you have 17" wheels, your tires are about 5 lbs lighter than mine (ST Maxx at 64.7 lbs and Duratracs at 60 lbs).

I would recommend giving AJ at Ace a call. I've had very good experience with their customer service and support.

Also, you may want to check-out this thread;

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/have-an-ace-rear-bumper-carrier-you-can-lower-your-tire-1567521.html

I just ordered this from ACE for the purpose of improving visibility but it may lower the center of gravity (lessen the leverage on the top of the tailgate).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had mine on for about 10 months and do not have any of those issues. Tires look fine (rotated a few weeks ago) and I just went out to double check the tailgate and it is still flush. Never had an issue with rattling.

As an FYI, I'm running ST Maxx 295/70/17. I see you have the Duratrac 315's. Assuming you have 17" wheels, your tires are about 5 lbs lighter than mine (ST Maxx at 64.7 lbs and Duratracs at 60 lbs).

I would recommend giving AJ at Ace a call. I've had very good experience with their customer service and support.

Also, you may want to check-out this thread;

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/have-an-ace-rear-bumper-carrier-you-can-lower-your-tire-1567521.html

I just ordered this from ACE for the purpose of improving visibility but it may lower the center of gravity (lessen the leverage on the top of the tailgate).
Thanks for the info, I will have to give them a call next week sometime to see what they recommend.

Just out of curiosity, how snug do you have your tire against the carrier when you mount it (about how much thread is showing when the tire is touching the carrier without any bolts) and about how far is your tailgate from closing when the carrier contacts the nylon bushing?

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Thanks for the info, I will have to give them a call next week sometime to see what they recommend.

Just out of curiosity, how snug do you have your tire against the carrier when you mount it (about how much thread is showing when the tire is touching the carrier without any bolts) and about how far is your tailgate from closing when the carrier contacts the nylon bushing?
In my case, I had the carrier before putting on the larger tires. When the larger tires went on, I had to readjust the carrier. Although the spare tire was snug, there was a gap between the mounting plate and the back of the wheel (in other words, the new tires were wider). I had to loosen the big bolt in the back to extend the telescoping part, tighten the lug nuts so the wheel was against the plate, and then re-tighten the big bolt on the back to bring-in the telescoping part so the tires were snug against the carrier bars.

Regarding the nylon bushing, the tailgate is just shy of engaging when the bar contacts the bushing.

Let me know if you have any more questions and I will do my best.

·
Registered
364 Posts

I've passed this info on to AJ. He'll be happy to try and help you out with this issue when you call in. 586-806-6641.

Thank you,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts