Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing an ace front stubby on my 2013 JK. I already talked to ace with my first round of questions, but I think they are now closed for the weekend and I have more.

First is probably a softball question, and I think I already know the answer, but here goes. I removed the lower air dam and the bumper. There is a small plastic strip that was between the bumper and the grill. This should come off too? I tried to unscrew the plastic screws in the top of it and had no luck. Should I try to yank the whole thing off?

Ace told me that I would have to cut off about 3/16" from each end of the crash bar. I'm not exactly sure where I should make these cuts. The crash bar is horizontal and the ends of the bar are vertical brackets that connect the bar to the frame above it. If I cut 3/16" of each end, I think I'll actually be cutting off the bracket and not the crash bar. I don't think I'm understanding this correctly. Thoughts?

Now for the vacuum pump relocation! I really don't want to go with one of the typical relocation kits, because there is a good chance that I'll eventually want to put in a Spod where those kits usually relocate the pump too. Ace said they just cut the vacuum pump bracket off of the frame and move it lower. That seems simple enough. Has anyone here done it this way? Any tips? I'm not sure how I would get a wrench in between the crash bar brackets to rebolt the pump bracket back onto it once I move it lower.

·
Registered
24 Posts
For the vacuum pump I simply grounded the the bolts that attached the pump. Then used 1/4 inch bolts to secure the vacuum pump again.

image-2682321911.jpg

Here's a pic of what you need to trim off the crash bar. Just cut the excess to match up with the horizontal bar. You need to cover up the exposed metal to prevent corrosion. I used some high heat spray paint.
Also make sure to take that plastic piece off. It's not needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only one more question so far.

These brackets came off of the bumper bolts frame side. Do these get reused when installing an aftermarket bumper?

·
Registered
579 Posts
For the vacuum pump I simply grounded the the bolts that attached the pump. Then used 1/4 inch bolts to secure the vacuum pump again.

View attachment 172516

I wish I had seen this before I did my installs. I just this week installed two mid width bumpers. On the first one I relocated the pump and cut off the entire bracket. On the second one I got a little smarter and realized I didn't need to cut off the bracket but only the bolts sticking up. I still relocated the pump though.

This solution you have is sooooo much better. I could have saved a bunch of time and the money I spent on the relocation brackets. :banghead:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I didn't put them back on. If they're supposed to be on there I can always put them on. Anyone know if they're needed?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Only one more question so far.

These brackets came off of the bumper bolts frame side. Do these get reused when installing an aftermarket bumper?

No you do not re use those. And the pictures above are 100 percent correct! Dont remove the bracket just the studs that are welded to the bracket! Then drill 2 holes and mount the pump on the underside of the bracket.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Bigcountry10!

jap0029, I was just going through your ace trifecta thread. Had I reread that first I probably wouldn't have really needed to even start this one. Great info. Thanks! One of your pictures looked like you were using a dremel. Was that the tool you used to cut the crash bar? My options are hacksaw, dremel, or jigsaw (I don't have a sawsall unfortunately). I think I'm going to start off with the dremel tomorrow and see how that goes.

Thanks again you all. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I work at a dealership and one of the techs took an air tool with a cutting disc to cut it off. We also used it to cut off the bolts on the pump. I would go buy a grinder from harbor freight or somewhere like that. A dremmel would take a long time and a ton of cutting discs to cut everything if it could even do it.

What part of Texas are you in?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm in Houston.

I've got an angle grinder also. I picked one up for the washer grinding to install the rock rails. Do you think that is a suitable tool for the crash bar trimming?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Get some cutting blades and see if that works for you. If not I know someone down there that might be able to help.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds good. I'll pick up a cutting wheel for the grinder at HD tomorrow when I go to buy bolts for the vacuum relocation. Thanks again.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Install complete. Chopping off the vacuum pump bracket bolts and trimming the crash bar was easy with a cutting wheel on the angle grinder.

Phase 2 of my Ace install is done!

Phase 1 was the rock rails and painted pinch seam.

The final Phase 3 is the rear bumper and tire carrier which should be here sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Ace all around!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks!
My tag might be there for a while unfortunately. I'm planning on mounting the tag on a roller fairlead mount and due to finances the winch will probably be after the lift. I'm sagging a good bit and I haven't installed the rear bumper yet! Needing to lift it asap, but that might not be until after New Years.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You're probably right. The bumper came with the fairlead plate too, but I just don't want to drill into the bumper until I'm ready to install the winch. I zip tied it to the bull bar so it isn't going anywhere. The string is just to help keep it straight in the wind. Sure it is a bit rigged and definitely not classy, but it will suffice until the winch is ready :thumb:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Be careful with relying on the zip ties. They have a tendency to get pretty weak in direct sunlight after a while so I'd look for more secure option sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Be careful with relying on the zip ties. They have a tendency to get pretty weak in direct sunlight after a while so I'd look for more secure option sooner rather than later.
Copy that. Thanks for the warning. I'll keep an eye on them.

Looks great. Still waiting on my rear bumper to show up. Hopefully it will get here soon.
Thanks for the compliment and all of your help!

I ordered the trifecta on October 2nd. 8 Weeks will be November 27th, and I'm not really expecting my rear bumper before then. Mostly just to keep myself from being let down. I know those guys at Ace are crazy busy working long hours and cranking these things out as fast as they can. That said, anything can happen. If a piece of their equipment goes down or there is a delay at the steel supplier or powder coater, everything gets pushed back. Maybe you will get your rear bumper a bit before me so I can rely on your experience again! I'm hoping that it will be a little easier since there is no vacuum pump, and no cutting like was needed for the front crash bar.

In the meantime, I'm trying to decide what I'm going to do for the center high mount brake light.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts