Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally done with all the medical issues and filled out the retirement papers.
So back to the Jeep, I thought I had a paint booth to work in but he went Tango Uniform on me.
So I built one, and as of today the first part has been painted. Thanks to every one for the encouragement, oh and painting is HARD. But I'm still enjoying it.
Will try to post pics but being cyber challenged it seems I can only post one at a time.

Color is Tank, bedliner will be as well.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,632 Posts
Please, Please, Please, Use a respirator!!

If you aren't already using one they're available at your local paint supply store. A 3M dust mask isn't a respirator. A respirator has either filtered supplied fresh air (via a separate hose) and is actually a face mask (these are the best) or has filters that remove the harmful chemicals and you breath the air in the booth.

BTW, the booth looks great. It looks like the Jeep is coming along great as well. I'd love to see the finished product. Post some more pics once it's painted.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took your advice, commercial respirator from paint supply shop. Glasses and suit as well.
Found out furnace filters plug pretty fast( must be something better and cheap).
We are going to have 75-80 degree weather this weekend, will be trying to get grill, fender, and rear armor done so it'll be a rolling tub.
Thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bolting parts together as they dry.
Disposable respirator plugged up, painting on hold till I can get to town.
So far very happy with results so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks, lve got probably $225 in materials (including 3 fans) plus the plastic sheeting, Velcro on the end to pull things in and out. Most important is a stick on zipper for easy entering.
Have lots of inexpensive filters as they plug, but keep things clean. As LM said a good respirator is a life saver. Here's a shot of my hangers, 1" square tubing.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took a while to get the door lined up in tub, going to build the full door and make sure the hinges are correct for both.
I don't remember who posted it but thanks for the tip about using plastic bag over painted screws to keep from chipping paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another thank you to forum members, I don't remember who posted about getting the windshield pulled back into correct position. I read it and thought it pretty funny until yesterday, spot on discription and solution. If I hadn't read it the frustration level would be at Defcon 3.
Fenders and hood back off for sand and respray, hurried up and blew the finish.
Have I mentioned how much I dislike sanding.:rant:

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, I do appreaciate that.
since the surrounds on the headlights are chrome I'm having a bit of a problem maybe someone out there can help with.
I have access to a powder coating oven be was told you can not powder coat chrome.
Can I sand to dull or down to bare metal to coat. Or sand to dull and paint semi gloss black, and if so will ti need primed (etch or epoxy) before paint?
Always something....

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts