Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m sure this is a stupid question...what is the difference between active and stored trouble codes? Is there any difference in how they are cleared?

·
Registered
13,389 Posts
Codes can be set or pending
Only set codes light the check engine light but both are stored

If the condition that set a code was transient and you cleared the stored codes it goes away until it reoccurs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Codes can be set or pending
Only set codes light the check engine light but both are stored

If the condition that set a code was transient and you cleared the stored codes it goes away until it reoccurs

I tried clearing the above codes multiple times yesterday, but they keep coming back right away. I understand why with the active code (condition still exists), but I’m not sure why the stored codes are still there. I don’t think the conditions still exist (but I could be wrong). Poking around on the internet leads me to believe it may take a few drive cycles to clear them? Not sure though. And no CEL.

·
Registered
925 Posts
If the code keeps coming right back after you erased it, then it means the issue that has triggered the code is still present.

Your seeing stored codes and not being able to erase them may be due to limitations of your scanner. Better scan tools can erase a code and the codes history selectively.

In addtition to the actual code, the codes history stores a set of PID's that were present while the code was set. Cheaper scan tools may not be able to access or erase these.

In some (or many) instances knowing the code may not mean much and fixing the issue is by far not as easy as simply going by the code displayed. In such instances deeper analysis is needed. It is important to understand and to be able to see behind the scheme how the code is set and what parameters may be triggering it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I’m dealing with an intermittent starting problem. I figured I should be able to clear the codes when everything seems to be working fine. But maybe there still is something wrong even when I am able to start it. I’m using jscan to read and try to clear the codes. I can see the codes clear, but the app does a scan immediately afterwards and they pop back up.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
I believe a stored code is an occurrence or abnormality that has been recognized more than once, and they only go away on their own after a certain time period, or number of drive cycles. I don't think you can clear them because they are there to keep a running count on the reoccurring issue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe a stored code is an occurrence or abnormality that has been recognized more than once, and they only go away on their own after a certain time period, or number of drive cycles. I don't think you can clear them because they are there to keep a running count on the reoccurring issue.

Thank you for the reply Bob. I had read something like that on the internet a little while back (not jeep-specific), but I can't seem to find it now. One of my stored codes cleared yesterday, which I believe supports this theory.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Thank you for the reply Bob. I had read something like that on the internet a little while back (not jeep-specific), but I can't seem to find it now. One of my stored codes cleared yesterday, which I believe supports this theory.

For the record, I have U0184 on my memory as well. Apparently before you change the radio one should deactivate the stock radio from the ecm. If done afterwards it doesn't clear.

No big deal though. Most people can clearly tell the radio has been changed out

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Look up "Freeze Frame Records" for a better understanding of my previous post.
Thanks Wrangleur. I just read an article on the web as suggested. I admit I am unfamiliar with these, but they do make perfect sense. I got the JScan app last week, and it has a screen for freeze frames (at least I think it does, I don't have it with me right now). It did not show any freeze frames for my vehicle when I was poking around the app the other day. I will check tonight to make sure I am looking at it correctly. From the article, it seems that the CEL is the trigger for taking the snapshot? My CEL did not come on for my current issues, and not sure it ever has, so maybe that is why I have no freeze frame data?

·
Registered
925 Posts
You don't necessarily need a CEL to trigger a snap shot. Freeze Frame Records can exist without CEL too.

For example I recently was trouble shooting a transmission problem (on my other vehicle) and reading (and deleting) a stored code and Freeze Frame Records despite NO CEL displayed. In this instance of THIS particular code of my issue, CEL would come on only after the issue has occurred twice. However my short trouble shooting test drive usually wasn't enough for that double occurence. Yet again, I had a stored code and Freeze Frame Records.

Different codes have their own properties to produce a snap shot or to trigger CEL and the same applies for their 'expiration' as well.

Also the vehicles self diagnostics (becasue that is really what we read with out scan tools, results of the vehicle's self diagnostics) has it's limits. In other words not every issue will trigger a code, especially on the older vehicles. So if you have no codes, then your issue is likely due to something that is outside the scope of your vehicles on board diagnostics capability. However in some instances some of the resulting 'colleteral' issue may be picked up by the on board diagnostics and trigger a code.

Unfortunately the only way to find out more info on this is to dig deeper into the factory manual. You may be lucky, because if I remember correctly your 3.8 still has hardcopy factory manual available. Such older manuals may contain a detailed description of trouble codes and accompanying information on their properties. Trying to be forward looking, I'm already looking for such factory info on our (to us still new) 3.6 Pentastar.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Wrangleur, good stuff! I learn something (or many things) new every day!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Ran an advanced scan today using jscan and the following error code shows a a stored code
2015 JKU sport
I’m confused as week as what is meant by stored code
The code does not appear when I run a quick diagnostic - no error codes returned. Only an advanced scan returns

B2102
Ignition run/start circuit failure
Ignition run/start input circuit high
Stored

Do I need to go to the mechanic?? Is this an active code?
No issues that I’m aware of? Truck as a remote start

·
Registered
13,389 Posts
Codes that light the cel are stored until cleared typically with some freeze frame data
If the problematic data does not recur within set parameters the cel goes out but code is still stored unless deleted

Additionally some codes are listed as pending when problematic data meets preset criteria to be considered pending but has not yet met preset parameters to be considered setting an error code to set the cel

All the specific criteria details are preset in the pcm and proprietary info held close by the company that makes the vehicles

1 - 15 of 15 Posts