Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Former 05 TJ Sport owner, future JK Sahara owner (ordered 6/3 and on rails as I am typing) and want to know actual experiences modders have had with lifts/upgrades and issues at the dealer with warranties. I know there are consumer protection laws, but I would prefer to NOT to have to take a dealer to court.

I am considering a suspension lift, larger tires, and a Detroit TrueTrac as my initial work, but if the going vibe is that I would have issues at my dealer, I am considering waiting until warranty expiration.

If posters can relate actual issues they have dealt with rather than what they have "heard" it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
428 Posts
you hearing actual issues or what someone else heard is basically the same thing and regardless of what you hear, unless your buying from the same dealer it means virtually nothing.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Former 05 TJ Sport owner, future JK Sahara owner (ordered 6/3 and on rails as I am typing) and want to know actual experiences modders have had with lifts/upgrades and issues at the dealer with warranties. I know there are consumer protection laws, but I would prefer to NOT to have to take a dealer to court. I am considering a suspension lift, larger tires, and a Detroit TrueTrac as my initial work, but if the going vibe is that I would have issues at my dealer, I am considering waiting until warranty expiration. If posters can relate actual issues they have dealt with rather than what they have "heard" it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Easiest thing to do is find out if your dealer is mod friendly or not. Just speak to the service manager, tell him what you're planning on doing and see what he says. When I was buying my 14' Willys I paid a few hundred more at my local dealer because they are mod friendly.

That being said, if you lift with the new Mopar lifts they are covered under your warranty as long as you have the dealer install the lift.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The info I've been getting is strictly from forums, and even then it's not first hand info, just a lot of "I have heard." Checking with dealer is a good suggestion, though. Thanks.

I saw this beast on the road today and I don't want to wait for my warranty to expire before making similar changes!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,866 Posts
Personal Experience- Modded many vehicles (Jeeps, Toyotas, Camaro's)
ANY Warranty problems I ever had were Dealer/Service Manager related NOT Mod related.
Worst problem EVER wasn't even modded. Went to arbitration and I Won. Dealer Service Manager still refused to abide by the arbitors decision.
Guy was a total D!ckhead.

Moral of the story, don't negotiate for the last dime deal. Look for the Best Dealer. The one I bought from does Lifts, AEV, Mopar, they Race...
The techs and Managers drive Lifted Jeeps.

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
I know there are consumer protection laws, but I would prefer to NOT to have to take a dealer to court.
Don't forget there are manufacturer protection laws too.

They can completely void your warranty, if there is an evidence of abuse. What's abuse? The courts have said that racing and off-roading are forms of abuse (yea, I know, aren't Jeep suppose to go off-road?). What's evidence of abuse? Any mods you have made that are typical of off-roading or racing. Agreed, that's pretty subjective, and rely solely in the opinion of the service manager (see next comment). And yea, you could have made those mods just for show, and never really made use of them.

Easiest thing to do is find out if your dealer is mod friendly or not. Just speak to the service manager, tell him what you're planning on doing and see what he says.
+1

There are service managers who look the other way for all but the most blatant over-the-top mods. And there are service managers who would snap pics of any mods, and submit them to Jeep for the purpose of voiding your warranty.

If you have a local Jeep club, they are a good way to find out which local dealers are mod friendly, and which aren't.

·
Registered
970 Posts
i just called my dealer to see how my mods affected the warranty and was told that if any of the mods fail or cause a failure then it wont be covered. I have exhaust, CIA, fox ats, bilstein 5100s, 1.75" spacer lift, and 35" duratracs. I figure as long as the engine doesnt fail from dirt then im ok.....and i might be screwed on any steering or axle damage , but who knows.

Im glad you started this thread because they seem OK with it when you ask, but who know what will happen if shit hits the fan

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to the posters with actual experiences, even as I am left feeling less inclined to do non factory/ non dealer mods. I live in NY so it's hard for me to imagine a service center that won't try to weasel out of covering warranted repairs or overcharging for installations.

·
Registered
970 Posts
just dont do anything major....you can still get a small lift and 35s....i cant see them denying much with just that....everything that might go wrong with 35s are wear items anyway. Just make it how you want and dont sweat it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.