Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard is it toads on power locks and keyless entry. I just bought a jeep and the only thing I miss is being aBle lock and unlock the doors with a push of a button. Any suggestions I would appreciate.

·
Registered
585 Posts
you dnt buy a jeep to have power lock doors and a keyless entry but if you wher to do it i would assume it would be time consuming and prob not the easiest thing to do. i thought i saw something to do in on quadratec but it could have been for power windows

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
There's a company (or person) that makes a kit that will give you power locks and I think maybe power windows (but not keyless entry that I recall)...but it's not exactly a plug and play kit. You gotta do all the wiring and everything else. I'm assuming from your username you have a TJ...and none of them offered power windows/locks or keyless entry. I'd just live with it personally...be thankful...it's a lot cheaper to fix when something in your locks/windows breaks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I would like to add them I guess I got spoiled but I do not want to spend the money and then have not look good. I have a four door and it is a pain always making sure they are locked but I guess I will put up with it. Everything else I am enjoying about my first jeep.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just added power locks to my '00 TJ and it was pretty simple. Took about 2 or 3 hours total. The most time consuming part was cutting the wiring bundle and adding disconnect harnesses so they can be unhooked when I take the doors off. I followed the advice in this post:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/power-locks-50781.html

As for people saying that "you don't buy a TJ for...", don't worry about that. Do what you want to do. I have power locks, a double din radio and can start my Jeep (a manual) remotely from my iPhone. I like my Jeep because it's a Jeep, but I also like power amenities. It's yours. Build it how you want to!

-steve

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
Barrie has them in his, it's great.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I even wired mine in to the remote start unit I have so I can lock/unlock from my phone as well! I love the convenience of it!

·
Registered
77 Posts
My remote start is made by DEI and has an add-on module called SmartStart. It plugs in to the remote start and then connects to a cell network. You download the app to your phone, log in and that's it! You can lock/unlock, start/shut off, pop the trunk and hit the panic button.

The service costs 50 bucks for a year or 100 for 3 years.

-steve

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the help. I researched SmartStart and it can get a little pricy.

I'm installing power locks and a keyless entry in the weeks ahead. After reading the instructions they warn about hooking directly into the dome light circuit without a relay. Do you have your system hooked into your dome light? Did you have any problems?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yeah, it can get pricey. I got my complete kit on eBay for 225 shipped to my door. I installed it with a friend and managed to find a DEI installer on a Ford Ranger forum I used to frequent to activate it for me.

Just a warning: only an authorized installer can activate it for you, so be sure you have something lined up before you install it.

As for the dome light, I had no issues. I have a soundbar with integrated dome light. I didn't hook in to the dome light circuit at all.

Hope this helps!

-steve

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks, this really helps.

So you just spliced into the wire supplying power to the dome light?
Sorry but I just wanted to be sure. I want to do this job right. I'm not too familiar with electrical work. Everything else seems pretty straight forward.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks, this really helps.

So you just spliced into the wire supplying power to the dome light?
Sorry but I just wanted to be sure. I want to do this job right. I'm not too familiar with electrical work. Everything else seems pretty straight forward.

Thanks again.
I didn't. I spliced in to another 12v constant source from under the dash. The kit I got supplied an in-line fuse for this and yours should too. To be honest, I don't remember what I spliced in to, but just poke around with a multimeter and find something that has 12 volts when the ignition is off.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Anytime! I noticed you're in NJ. Where are you located? I'm originally from NJ...Cherry Hill area. I live in MI now, but I'm back in NJ until Monday.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts