Need opinions.

Added EVO rockstar skids.

Shock mounts raised 1.5"

Running TF 2.75" rear stops

Running 5000x shocks
16.875 compressed
28.250 extended
11.250 Travel

At ride height shock mounting point to mounting point = 22" = 6.25 down travel/5.125 up travel

If I measure between the mounting points at full compression = 16" +/- .5

Looks like .75-1" added to stop height will do. Or go for the RS55330 5000x shocks with about 1" less on compression length. What would you do?

·
Super Moderator
22,029 Posts
Rock Krawler said they like to spec out about 1/3 up travel and 2/3 droop not sure if the evo rockstars would effect that or not.

·
Super Moderator
14,550 Posts
I think I would use the shorter shock. Your total droop would be about the same as you had before the EVO's and you would have more up travel.

If you add bump, you are limiting up travel and raising COG. Is the extra droop desirable even if you can't fully stuff anymore? Can you even use the extra droop? (other limiting factors) That's a long shock with another 1.5 added to it...

The flip-side is that I can't get over thinking that you reduce total travel because the shock is shorter... Is it even enough to think about?

I still think I would use the shorter shock. :beerdrinking:

·
Super Moderator
22,029 Posts
I am thinking the same way the shorter ones with the evo rockstars at least that is what I think after thinking about it for hours lol. Stock shock mounts the longer shocks make more sense in my pea brain but with the mount moved up 1.5" then the shorter one does. The shorter one still has almost 10" of travel. The good news at $45 a shock it is not a bad priced experiment.

·
Super Moderator
14,550 Posts
Travel will be the same as before the brackets.
With such a hight lift height (4") adding 1 inch stop is not really a problem. I can go either way.
I dunno, head spinning... Shorter seems the right choice, but...

Ok, looking closer at those shocks, the 30 has travel of 9.688 and the 32 is 11.375. That will surely change your travel if you are bumped to keep the shock from bottoming out and not to keep from tire rubbing. That 1.5" of shock travel will equal a fair amount of wheel travel. So much so that I still wonder if you can use it all. Can you droop that far without something else binding up before full shock extension?

The compressed difference is just a little over 3/4". You're right, that's not much bump to add...

·
Super Moderator
22,029 Posts
Lol .. Man this sucks. Nothing binds I can use all the travel. Tire clears all around as well. As you can see the coil Stays seated nicely
that brake line looks like a banjo string :) It also looks like the shock is freaking long lol.

·
Vendor
5,579 Posts
If you can use the full droop of the longer shocks, add the small amount of bump. In the grand scheme of things, 3/4" bump height increase is not even an issue. Would you even see it if you were out on a trail and fully compressed? What would truly be the COG % difference? Would it matter?

Use the droop and keep your wheels on the ground for traction.

Just sayin'. :whistling:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts