Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy! I want to add a 3rd row to a 1989 YJ. I am thinking about buying it and want to have 6 people in it when we go into the mountains for very light off roading adventures in CO. Have you seen this done and how do I go about doing it? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
You would have to stretch it first!the back seat really isn’t very comfortable for the average adult- you aren’t getting a 3rd row in a stock yj

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,105 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Dmassey23,

Do you actually have possession of the Jeep that you want to install the third row seat in? I assume not. steves92 tells it like it is.

Some folks have removed the stock seat and installed facing rear bench seats over the rear wheel wells. In order for this to work, the Jeep has to be driven topless and even then, the rear passenger feet and legs are crowded. It's uncomfortable for the rear seat passengers.

There's a company in Estes Park Colorado that has several stretched JKs to carry tourists, but I can't see that as practical for a YJ.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
60,976 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
There's hardly enough room for 2 pairs of boots behind the back seat let alone 2 more people....

3rd row seating.... find a shop that can do major fab work and drop the jeep off along with about $30,000 and give them a few months....

More realistically, sell it and buy a suburban...

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Can be done, no body shop needed, installs in 5 minutes, and no need to remove the tailgate.:bop:

Attachments

Reactions: vmxwinn

·
Premium Member
2,933 Posts
Is what you're looking to accomplish?

These yahoos got 23 people, Potty breaks would be a bitch...

Reactions: hag4reel

·
Super Moderator
11,105 Posts
Can be done, no body shop needed, installs in 5 minutes, and no need to remove the tailgate.:bop:
I guess that'll be OK until it snows.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,105 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Anything can be accomplished if you have the coin
2772832461_9fb906a825_b.jpg
doorsoff504.jpg

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
Relatively Straightforward....

Even if you are an amateur fabricator.

There are dozens of these “Pink Jeeps” around Sedona, AZ (as well as the Grand Canyon and the a Great Smoky Mountains). Basically, remove the tailgate, add a fabricated box that extends out the back with the floor at the same height, put the OE rear seat (36” in YJ’s, 40” in TJ’s) in the box facing forward, and add two seats facing each other that mount on the inner fenderwells. Seating for six in the back, plus the driver and front passenger. May not be the most comfortable ride ever, but it would work if you were really wanting to make it happen. Full disclaimer: I would never waste my somewhat valuable time doing it.

Most of the current fleet are TJ and LJ based, but they do have some YJ’s that are still in decent condition, as early as ‘89 models. Obviously the LJ’s are far roomier for this purpose, but it certainly can be done with a little work.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Don't forget the need for a custom raised rollcage/ roof along w custom side/ back curtains if weather protection is desired...

I suspect that the OP was a seagull who flew in, dropped something and flew off never to be seen again...

·
Super Moderator
11,105 Posts
Don't forget the need for a custom raised rollcage/ roof along w custom side/ back curtains if weather protection is desired...

I suspect that the OP was a seagull who flew in, dropped something and flew off never to be seen again...
Seagull. That's funny.

Seagull. That's funny.

Seagull. That's funny.

It's so funny I have to keep saying it. I know people like that. They're the type of folks that "If the shit doesn't stink, stir it."

Seagull. :rofl:

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you all for your comments and the laughs! 🤣 So what I am gathering is this would not be the best one to add the extra seat in. I am very grateful for your opinions and advice! I might still buy the 89, but tell two people to walk 😂

·
Super Moderator
11,105 Posts
Dmassey23, We're glad to have you here. If you start another thread with some details about the '89 Wrangler you're considering buying (and maybe pics) I'm sure folks here can give you advice about what to look for in general and their thoughts about the specific Jeep that you have under consideration.

The first bit of advice is look out for rust. I'm thinking that rust has killed more Jeeps than crashes. A rusty tub can be patched, as can a rusty frame, but patching a badly rusted tub or frame is usually beyond practicality. The folks here can give you their opinion on the difference between repairable and non-repairable. If you have a shop with a welder and can weld, that might make the difference between practical and not practical to repair.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts