Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here is my plan that works great in my head but im VERY nervous about starting this project.

In my 98 wrangler, i have a SPOT in the instrument cluster for a bulb to be placed for the "low washer fluid" indicator light. Well since my jeep doesnt have that option, the FRONT of the instrument cluster was never cut to show "low washer fluid". (meaning even if i put a bulb in there and it lit up, i would never see it)

SO, my "plan" was to drill a small hole in the front of the black panel, and wire a led in the back to my fog lights. This way when i turned my fog lights on, it would show up in my cluster. I ordered a switch from OTRATTW that was JUST the rocker cover that showed "nav lights"

i want to take that cover, cut it to just show the icon for "nav lights" and somehow place it over that hole in the cluster. This way, when i turn on my fog lights, the light lights up to show they are on, and it lights up behind the indicator cover that says "hey your lights are on"

any ideas?

im nervous about drilling the hole, and HOW i would get the cover to stay on. i thought maybe some super glue to hold the cover on the outside so the tiny hold would just light it up and there would be no true damage to the jeep. could this work??

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Wow that sounds like a great idea.
Subscribed:punk:

·
Registered
91 Posts
I like the idea. Make sure your LED voltage is correct, maybe get a color that matches the rest. Do everything neatly so you'll be happy with the results, and take pics and do a writeup so I can do it!!! Great idea!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha well then I most certainly will ... I am using the same color led that the fog light switch has in it ... I plan to tap off that for the dash light to come on at the same time ... I'll keep y'all posted!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Please keep us updated!:D
I've been pondering where to put my switches, and what kind.
I like the OTRATTW switches, mainly because of their symbols on the lit-up switch. but I keep hearing about how bright they are.
Moing that 'symbol' into the cluster would open up a ton of options for switch styles.:appl: And we ALL like options, right??

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I agree! I am adding some really cool things and am wanting to put switches out of the way ... But I notice I leave my
Fog lights on sometimes and wanted to put an indicator so I would notice ... I haven't actually tried switches from otrattw but the covers they had are really unique to me and I figured to give this a shot :) so once I'm done I'll have blue LEDs inside in some good hidden locations :)

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
did anything ever happen with this? I really like the idea and am getting ready to do swap out the dash lights anyways....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts