Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I'm adding a Clarion XC 1410 amp and Kenwood amplified sub to a base 130. What adapter or cable do I need so as not to have to cut any wires? I really don't want to start cutting up any wires to do this.

Thanks.

ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
Hey all,
I'm adding a Clarion XC 1410 amp and Kenwood amplified sub to a base 130. What adapter or cable do I need so as not to have to cut any wires? I really don't want to start cutting up any wires to do this.

Thanks.
I'm not sure, but Crutchfield should be able to help you. Good luck with it!

-Ryan

Registered
Metra 70-6522 (female) and Metra 71-6522 (male).

You'll connect the 71-6522 to the stock radio. The front and rear speaker leads from the adapter to the high level input of the Clarion and the front speaker leads also to the high level inputs of the sub (best to have it fade with the front speakers). You'll then take the speaker outputs from the Clarion and connect them to the 70-6522 and plug it into the factory harness (the one what was originally plugged into the stock harness). Any remaining wires from the two harnesses are just connected together.

Of course you'll also need to run a power wire to the battery and ground both amps. From what I can tell, neither the Clarion amp nor the Kenwood sub is auto-sensing which means you also have to run a turn on wire. Our HU's don't provide such an output so you'll need to run one yourself. I would personally run one to the fuse box and tap into the fused end of an accessory location.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies. I was just at Crutchfield chat and they don't have a harness. As many of those radios are out there you'd think someone would. webwarmiller, I like what you've got going on there, those cables are a bargain and what you're saying is well within my car audio skill set.;)
I've ordered the PAC AOEM-CHR3 because of this this thread http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/installing-new-stereo-amp-and-subwoofer-in-jeep-jk-wrangler-part-1-a-83834.html

If that doesn't work, I'll go your way.

Thanks again, everyone.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/installing-new-stereo-amp-and-subwoofer-in-jeep-jk-wrangler-part-1-a-83834.html

Registered
I've ordered the PAC AOEM-CHR3
That harness will work, you'll just have to splice into the harness itself (not the factory wiring). That harness combines the two harnesses I recommended along with a Line Out Converted. It is pre-wired so that you can plug it in-line between the factory harness and the factory HU and now have two pairs (Front/Rear) of RCA outs along with a remote turn on lead.

However, it is wired so that the factory HU is still powering the factory speakers and you want the Clarion XC 1410 to power them. You are going to have to cut into the PAC harness so that you can connect the speaker outputs from the Amp to the female side of the PAC harness. You are going to do so after the spot where the speaker signal has been tapped to send the signal to the line out converter (after the heat shrink in the location indicated in the picutre). Just cut the speaker wires after the heat shrink, cap off the wires on the male side (they are still feeding the line out converter), and then connect the wires on the female side to the speaker outputs of your amp.

Obviously, you'll be using the RCA's from the line out converter to get the signal to the amps. You'll need a Y-splitter (1 male to 2 females) on the front RCA's so that you can send front and rear RCA's to the Clarion amp and front RCA's also to the Kenwood powered sub. And, of course, you'll have to send the remote turn-on wire from the line out converter to both amps.

This is where you will need to cut in order to switch the speaker wires from being connected to the HU to being connected to the amplifier:
wiring_harness.jpg

And here's the wiring change itself (for each of the 8 speaker wires):
wiring_change.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
That harness will work, you'll just have to splice into the harness itself (not the factory wiring). That harness combines the two harnesses I recommended along with a Line Out Converted. It is pre-wired so that you can plug it in-line between the factory harness and the factory HU and now have two pairs (Front/Rear) of RCA outs along with a remote turn on lead.

However, it is wired so that the factory HU is still powering the factory speakers and you want the Clarion XC 1410 to power them. You are going to have to cut into the PAC harness so that you can connect the speaker outputs from the Amp to the female side of the PAC harness. You are going to do so after the spot where the speaker signal has been tapped to send the signal to the line out converter (after the heat shrink in the location indicated in the picutre). Just cut the speaker wires after the heat shrink, cap off the wires on the male side (they are still feeding the line out converter), and then connect the wires on the female side to the speaker outputs of your amp.

Obviously, you'll be using the RCA's from the line out converter to get the signal to the amps. You'll need a Y-splitter (1 male to 2 females) on the front RCA's so that you can send front and rear RCA's to the Clarion amp and front RCA's also to the Kenwood powered sub. And, of course, you'll have to send the remote turn-on wire from the line out converter to both amps.

This is where you will need to cut in order to switch the speaker wires from being connected to the HU to being connected to the amplifier:
View attachment 2603449

And here's the wiring change itself (for each of the 8 speaker wires):
View attachment 2603473
I really appreciate all this info. You don't live in Colorado Springs by any chance? I have a full size beer fridge in my garage. ;)

Registered
Haha my bad that was a question, i was gonna basically buy it for the harness and use a audio controls lci2 and add a sub, just wanted to make sure that the plugs were the same

Registered
Is that a question or a statement?
sorry man, new to the forum life, i basically wanted to buy the PAC AOEM-CHR3 for the harness to use the audio controls lci2 and add a sub, would you or anyone in that matter know if the plugs are the same for a 2015? just wanted to make sure before i bought it

Registered
sorry man, new to the forum life, i basically wanted to buy the PAC AOEM-CHR3 for the harness to use the audio controls lci2 and add a sub, would you or anyone in that matter know if the plugs are the same for a 2015? just wanted to make sure before i bought it
No need for a harness of any sort if you want to use a LCi-2. You simply need to tap into the front speaker wires. IMO, the front speaker pods are the easiest location to do so. Remove the glove box and you have easy access to the right pod's wires. Pop off the trim panel just beneath the steering wheel (pulls right off) and then remove the metal bracket (2, 10mm screws) and you have easy access to the left pod's wires. Posi-taps will work great for this and make wiring a breeze.

Registered
No need for a harness of any sort if you want to use a LCi-2. You simply need to tap into the front speaker wires. IMO, the front speaker pods are the easiest location to do so. Remove the glove box and you have easy access to the right pod's wires. Pop off the trim panel just beneath the steering wheel (pulls right off) and then remove the metal bracket (2, 10mm screws) and you have easy access to the left pod's wires. Posi-taps will work great for this and make wiring a breeze.
yea i did all the speakers already, so i know how to do that and thats not a bad idea as i rather cut down there then the harness of the radio, i was just trying to find a way to get a speaker signal without cutting my factory harness up cause its a lease and i rather not

1 - 18 of 18 Posts