Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
GOT DOORS?
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Originally posted in the Electronics section)

I'm still somewhat confused after searching on how to add an amp to my 130 and existing Kicker 77kick10 speaker setup. It seems splicing is involved, with some folks mentioning you don't even need the PAC module, just the wiring harness. I don't want to hack up anything until I know for certain.

What I purchased based on research (Images below):
  • Alpine KTP-445U 4-channel Power Pack Amplifier
  • PAC AOEM-CHR3

As I said, I'm confused. I just want to do is install the Amp using the factory connectors. By using the PAC, I understand I do not have to cut/splice any of the factory wires. Everything is stock except for the speakers which were plug-n-play.

With my 130, I have UConnect, Sirius and steering wheel controls; which I believe I would retain using the PAC. Correct?

I just need simple step by step instruction (ideally with pictures).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2017 JKUR
1,163 Posts
interested as well

·
GOT DOORS?
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've learned that unconnect, sirius, steering wheels controls won't be affected by finding info about the connections on the back of the 130.

I've looked at spliced wire harness setups on here and elsewhere.

It appears that the wires that go into connector OEM-1 should be spliced into the wires going to the amp. The colors match up.

What I don't know is the output from the Amp. I think I need to cut the RCA ends off and splice those back into the harness. This is what I'm unclear of, assuming I have everything else correct.

·
GOT DOORS?
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do I have this correct? (Hope I'm making sense here)

The "output" side of the Alpine Amp is spliced into the wires (circled in BLUE).

The "input" side is connected to the wire going to the harness which connects to the HU. (circled in RED). I cut the Green wire at the spot circled in RED, so that it is isolated and ONLY going to the input side of the Amp directly from the HU.

In a nutshell: Speaker wires from the HU connector (male end) goes to the "input" side of Amp (cut off RCA ends, splice into those wires). Then signal from "output" side of Amp splices into the wires circled in BLUE (cut just before the white connector, and splice), and finally the signal continues back through the harness (female end) that connects to the factory harness.

This seems to make sense to me. Again, output from HU goes to Amp. Output from Amp goes to part which connects to factory harness. (In other words, going directly to the speakers)

Attachments

Reactions: Lloydrage

·
Premium Member
2017 JKUR
1,163 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
I don't have any specific experience with that PAC, but you should never have to cut off a low level input connector (RCA jack) The high level from the radio should go in to the PAC (or some type of level converter) and the PAC will convert the high level output to low level (RCA outputs), those would then be plugged in to the low level inputs on the amp.

·
GOT DOORS?
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have any specific experience with that PAC, but you should never have to cut off a low level input connector (RCA jack) The high level from the radio should go in to the PAC (or some type of level converter) and the PAC will convert the high level output to low level (RCA outputs), those would then be plugged in to the low level inputs on the amp.

There are no RCA inputs on the amp. See pic above. There are other threads on this but I'm just not fully clear on what to do.

·
GOT DOORS?
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are no RCA inputs on the amp. See pic above. There are other threads on this but I'm just not fully clear on what to do.

I meant see my first post for this specific amp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
Looking at the picture, that is what I see. Low level RCA inputs. I don't see any high level (speaker) inputs. We don't have any low level outputs, so you need to convert our high level output to low level so they can connect to the RCA inputs.

Make sense?

A converter, probably your PAC, will convert the high level speaker outputs (wire) to low level (RCA) to plug in to the amp.

This is a stand alone converter, high level (wire) in and low level (RCA connector) out.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_40540_NVX-XFLOC2.html

Reactions: Lloydrage

·
Registered
220 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
@Pressurized
You don't really need the PAC to use the amp the OP has bought. The amp has input level controls and its instruction say "cut off the RCA connectors when using speaker level inputs"'. However, the PAC's harness makes all the cutting and crimping required for installation significantly easier than doing it all in the dash. (So maybe the $30~$50 the PAC sells for is worth the money.)

So if I was going to do this, I'd splice the radio's output wires that are on the harness's white connector to the amp's input wires. Then cut the harness as stated above to connect the amp's outputs to the speakers. Adjust the two input level controls on the amp to set the front & rear gains and your done. I don't thing that removal of the loss/gain stages will improve the noise floor enough to hear it but it would reduce the complexity of the installation, not to mention the additional tangle of wires.

Happy Trails,
Bob

PS Coffee? Easy run before the 110's arrive?

·
GOT DOORS?
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This thread will help you. http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/a...ine-out-converter-for-amp-intall-1630649.html

As pressurized said, you don't cut the RCA wires though. You use the PAC to convert the speaker level output to RCA. The RCA will then feed into the amp. You do have to cut the wires on the PAC that feed back into the speakers. The amp out will feed the wires on the PAC that you cut.
Thanks, I saw that thread. So, is this the layout I need? If so, the RCA ends on both wires are female, so I would need to do something to connect them.

And where exactly do I splice in the amp out wires to the harness?

Attachments

·
GOT DOORS?
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, I saw that thread. So, is this the layout I need? If so, the RCA ends on both wires are female, so I would need to do something to connect them.

And where exactly do I splice in the amp out wires to the harness?
Called PAC Tech support. I was told I needed male to male RCA cable to connect the 2. I'm looking at something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DI89I04?psc=1

I also know exactly where to splice in the output of the amp back to the harness.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Called PAC Tech support. I was told I needed male to male RCA cable to connect the 2. I'm looking at something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DI89I04?psc=1

I also know exactly where to splice in the output of the amp back to the harness.
Yes, those are the RCA cables. Normally an amp isn't a foot away from the LOC converter, so it has to have a female connector. No different than an aftermarket radio that RCA outs right on the back. It would need a regular RCA cable to provide signal to the amp.

Glad you figured it out. I'm pretty sure there was a picture in that thread that showed which wires to splice.

·
GOT DOORS?
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, those are the RCA cables. Normally an amp isn't a foot away from the LOC converter, so it has to have a female connector. No different than an aftermarket radio that RCA outs right on the back. It would need a regular RCA cable to provide signal to the amp.

Glad you figured it out. I'm pretty sure there was a picture in that thread that showed which wires to splice.
There were pictures. I just wasn't positive by looking at them.

Last time I worked with car audio was 30+ years ago. Things were much different. :)

Reactions: IGotLost

·
GOT DOORS?
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For those wondering where to exactly cut:

Attachments

Reactions: IGotLost

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
@Pressurized
You don't really need the PAC to use the amp the OP has bought. The amp has input level controls and its instruction say "cut off the RCA connectors when using speaker level inputs"'. However, the PAC's harness makes all the cutting and crimping required for installation significantly easier than doing it all in the dash. (So maybe the $30~$50 the PAC sells for is worth the money.)

So if I was going to do this, I'd splice the radio's output wires that are on the harness's white connector to the amp's input wires. Then cut the harness as stated above to connect the amp's outputs to the speakers. Adjust the two input level controls on the amp to set the front & rear gains and your done. I don't thing that removal of the loss/gain stages will improve the noise floor enough to hear it but it would reduce the complexity of the installation, not to mention the additional tangle of wires.

Happy Trails,
Bob

PS Coffee? Easy run before the 110's arrive?
I didn't get in to that amps instructions, but is the first time I've ever heard about cutting off RCA's to turn low level (line) inputs in to high level (speaker) inputs...

But then again my days are back when it was cassette decks from Concord and Nakamichi and amps from HiFonics, Zapco and Earthquake... Then Linear Power started showing up and Rockford Fosgate came out with "The Punch".

Anyways...

Yes, let's coffee soon... I'll check next week's schedule. And a run through Bulldog Pass sounds like a plan to me. A nice morning run before all the side by sides get out there?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
But then again my days are back when it was cassette decks from Concord and Nakamichi and amps from HiFonics, Zapco and Earthquake
Did you do Quadrasonic sound? I passed on that when I brought my Sansui gear back to the world but I've still got some 4500 speakers holding up lamps on each side of the TV.

And,yes, next week for coffee and I'll look up a couple of runs that are on my 2do list and are stock friendly that we can talk over.

Bob

1 - 20 of 57 Posts