Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooooo.... I just got done with one Jeep and about to do the other, want to make sure I didn't hose anything up.

Neither mine nor my wife's Jeeps came with a hardtop, we picked ours up locally and I got wiring harness kits. Both our Jeeps had heated mirrors already so I was able to get away with the slightly less expensive version.

On to the question - I followed the directions to a tee, even the things that didn't make sense to me at the time. I replaced the Blue/White wire on Connector E with the Blue/White wire from the harness. I spliced the Brown/Dark Blue wire from the harness to the Brown/Dark Green wire on Connector E, position 27. I replaced the Brown/Dark Green wire on Connector G, position 31 with the Brown/Dark Blue from the harness. I hooked up the Violet/White to Connector C behind the cluster, replacing the Violet/White wire that was there previously.

On testing, all seemed to work okay, except that the wiper blade on the rear glass would only intermittently return to rest position (top of glass, horizontal). I would hold to get movement and spray, and the wiper would sometimes stop vertically at the furthest down position, sometimes stop at about 30 degrees from vertical. Turning the rear wiper control to get movement again would park the wiper properly, but it seems odd that there would be 3 different park positions. Is this correct?

Second question, not to do with wiring - after an initial mixup with the pump and wasting a full gallon of wiper fluid, I got the proper sprayer hose to the proper side of the pump because the directions had positions reversed. I intentionally unhooked the sprayer hose from the motor on the glass to make sure I've got pressure - yes, good pressure there. However, when I hooked it up into the motor port, I initially got zero pressure, then a trickle, and now maybe a 1/2" wide spray of fluid. I assume not using the sprayer for however long this top was unhooked has left some blockage in the motor housing / sprayer nozzle. Is there any easy way to clear this out, or am I going to need to buy a new spray nozzle / motor? I get just enough spray now to get the rear glass clean-ish, but not enough to really clean it from road salt buildup while driving.

TIA
O_E

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
Soooooo.... I just got done with one Jeep and about to do the other, want to make sure I didn't hose anything up.

Neither mine nor my wife's Jeeps came with a hardtop, we picked ours up locally and I got wiring harness kits. Both our Jeeps had heated mirrors already so I was able to get away with the slightly less expensive version.

On to the question - I followed the directions to a tee, even the things that didn't make sense to me at the time. I replaced the Blue/White wire on Connector E with the Blue/White wire from the harness. I spliced the Brown/Dark Blue wire from the harness to the Brown/Dark Green wire on Connector E, position 27. I replaced the Brown/Dark Green wire on Connector G, position 31 with the Brown/Dark Blue from the harness. I hooked up the Violet/White to Connector C behind the cluster, replacing the Violet/White wire that was there previously.

On testing, all seemed to work okay, except that the wiper blade on the rear glass would only intermittently return to rest position (top of glass, horizontal). I would hold to get movement and spray, and the wiper would sometimes stop vertically at the furthest down position, sometimes stop at about 30 degrees from vertical. Turning the rear wiper control to get movement again would park the wiper properly, but it seems odd that there would be 3 different park positions. Is this correct?

Second question, not to do with wiring - after an initial mixup with the pump and wasting a full gallon of wiper fluid, I got the proper sprayer hose to the proper side of the pump because the directions had positions reversed. I intentionally unhooked the sprayer hose from the motor on the glass to make sure I've got pressure - yes, good pressure there. However, when I hooked it up into the motor port, I initially got zero pressure, then a trickle, and now maybe a 1/2" wide spray of fluid. I assume not using the sprayer for however long this top was unhooked has left some blockage in the motor housing / sprayer nozzle. Is there any easy way to clear this out, or am I going to need to buy a new spray nozzle / motor? I get just enough spray now to get the rear glass clean-ish, but not enough to really clean it from road salt buildup while driving.

TIA
O_E

Are both jeeps have the wiper return position issue?

For the blocked line try a can of compressed air into the line. Unhook both ends and see if the blockage is maybe a pinched hose, if not you know it's from the hardtop connection to the spray nozzle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Did you have the flash done? On a really dirty window you'll have to repeat with the spray, maybe twice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Recently had one done. You need the dealership to do a flash and they need the codes at the end of the instructions.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it needs the dealer to flash to return the wiper to the home position then? Dang, and here I thought I'd saved another hundred bucks or so...

I'll try the compressed air for the spray nozzle.

Yes, both hard tops show the same issue with the wiper not returning to home position. The hard top on the 2-door has no problem with the spray.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts