Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am adding TF 1" coil spring spacer lift on front and back to my existing Mopar 2" dealer installed lift. Is there anything I need to keep an eye on or check after I install? Is the exhaust clearance an issue typically ect, ect? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Could have issues. Once you hit about 3 inches of actual lift (and almost every lift is taller than advertised to account for added accessories and weight) you might have a problem with the DL hitting the exhuast. Exhaust spacers are cheap insurance.

You might also see some flightiness in the steering. Maybe some brake dive. Geo brackets will correct that. A little over $100 and 2 hours work. But the flighty steering isn't dangerous so you can add the spacers and see how it drives. If it annoys you, add the brackets. Some people don't notice or don't care and you'll be right on the edge.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could have issues. Once you hit about 3 inches of actual lift (and almost every lift is taller than advertised to account for added accessories and weight) you might have a problem with the DL hitting the exhuast. Exhaust spacers are cheap insurance.

You might also see some flightiness in the steering. Maybe some brake dive. Geo brackets will correct that. A little over $100 and 2 hours work. But the flighty steering isn't dangerous so you can add the spacers and see how it drives. If it annoys you, add the brackets. Some people don't notice or don't care and you'll be right on the edge.
Would the DL hit the exhaust under normal road driving conditions or on the trail?

·
Super Moderator
22,058 Posts
Would the DL hit the exhaust under normal road driving conditions or on the trail?
Depending on shock length but only at full droop if shocks long enough and assuming you are talking about the drive shaft ds.

·
Registered
616 Posts
your not going to hit the driveshaft on the exhaust with the shocks from the Mopar 2" lift.

However, to 100% verify, just check it under full droop when you install the spacers.

You might also need new sway bar links, not a show stopper, just check to see if your swaybar is 90degrees when you put it back on the ground.

·
Registered
269 Posts
your not going to hit the driveshaft on the exhaust with the shocks from the Mopar 2" lift.

However, to 100% verify, just check it under full droop when you install the spacers.

You might also need new sway bar links, not a show stopper, just check to see if your swaybar is 90degrees when you put it back on the ground.
If I understood correctly he said he's going to add 2" spacers to an existing 1" spring lift which would net 3" at the least. Like someone said above, spring lifts are often taller than advertised because the advertised height is the "minimum" lift on a full loaded Jeep.

·
Super Moderator
14,559 Posts
Driveshaft/exhaust issues are exclusively a shock related issue... It has nothing to do with amount of lift. And if it's the newer Mopar 2" lift, it already has a double cardan upgraded drive shaft which eliminates the problem to begin with.

A bigger concern would be caster. That lift uses cam bolts to adjust caster and additional correction might be needed to drive well. Fortunately it isn't undriveable even it could use a little more caster... I would also check the sway bar angles with an angle app to make sure they are within spec.

·
Registered
616 Posts
If I understood correctly he said he's going to add 2" spacers to an existing 1" spring lift which would net 3" at the least. Like someone said above, spring lifts are often taller than advertised because the advertised height is the "minimum" lift on a full loaded Jeep.
You read incorrectly :p

·
Super Moderator
22,058 Posts
got it reveresed.
You read incorrectly :p
LOL.

I will play the clarvoinant and guess that Merkel has the 2" mopar lift and it has sagged a bit after adding extra weight and he is looking to get back the height he lost after adding the extra weight.......

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
got it reveresed.

LOL.

I will play the clarvoinant and guess that Merkel has the 2" mopar lift and it has sagged a bit after adding extra weight and he is looking to get back the height he lost after adding the extra weight.......
Bingo. I have the Mopar 2" lift, dealer installed on a 2015 JKU. it has sagged a tad so figured I would add a 1" spacer lift to compensate and perhaps pick up a 1/2" in the end. So exhaust issues are not a problem with the lift? If I add an AEV Geo bracket I can assume every other issue will be corrected if not correct after the spacer? The sway bar disconnects sound like they may be an issue if not at 90 degrees? If the sway is not at 90 degrees will flightiness result while driving and will a JKS QD's fix that issue if I order the proper length, 2.5-4" option? All this being said will I need an alignment still? Sorry for all the Q's but want to be sure I have it correct:)

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
If the kit comes with a new front drive shaft, then no issues. If not, the exhaust spacers are about $35 bucks. Doesn't hurt to put them in and gives you a measure of peace of mind.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Out of curiosity What extra stuff does the Mopar 3" lift have over the Mopar 2" lift? Curious what the "factory" saw as a necessity to add for the extra 1" of lift?

Is it just safe to add Geo brackets anyway? If so which ones are the best? I was looking at AEV because a lot of stuff on my Jeep is already AEV but open to suggestions.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Yes it's safe to add the geo brackets, AEV or Rancho are the most popular ( i used AEV)

The swaybar not being a perfect 90 degrees will not make your steering flighty.

You do not need to get an alignment, but you can do your own if you want to be sure everything is good.

Remember to loosen all the control arm bolts and re torque with the weight of the vehicle on the ground.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I have a 3" (spring / spacer combo) lift and didn't have any issues with touching the exhaust crossover pipe, even at full droop; but every jeep is a little different. Under normal on road driving there really isn't any concern of binding on the exhaust crossover.

My caster is off a bit (confirmed by alignment), but it doesn't bother me when driving...can't even really notice it. I could put geo brackets on to correct it but they hang down so low... Not good for off roading. I'll eventually want to get Metalcloak Gamechanger so that will come with adjustable everything (including control arms) to correct all the geometry.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts