Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am going to test drive a 2013 Rubicon 2D on Monday and considering buying it.

It comes with a 430N radio but I do not see the steering wheel buttons for volume and Bluetooth.

Here is the car:

CarGurus - Used Cars For Sale. Find used and pre-owned cars in your area - CarGurus

My question is, how can I install the factory original controls? How does it cost and can I do it myself?

I am browsing the web but did not find a conclusive post with all the info.
I'd really love to have controls in the steering wheel and all looking like factory.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
It's not really feasible. If you want them that bad, get a different jeep. That jeep does not have uconnect and does not have Bluetooth

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
All Wranglers have controls for volume, presets and channel up/down on the backside of the steering wheel.

The other controls you want are part of the optional connectivity package.

This Jeep doesn't have it or EVIC.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi guys, I got that this one does not have it, but can I add them?

In other words can I add the connectivity option?

Second doubt is... the 430N shouldn't have bluetooth already? I see the commands on the the stereo. Is buetooth presend and just the connectivity package missing?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Hi guys, I got that this one does not have it, but can I add them?

In other words can I add the connectivity option?

Second doubt is... the 430N shouldn't have bluetooth already? I see the commands on the the stereo. Is buetooth presend and just the connectivity package missing?

730N has Uconnect/bluetooth built in. The 430N doesn't. Without Uconnect, those buttons on the radio don't do anything.

You can add Uconnect, but the kit doesn't come with the steering wheel controls.

If you add the Uconnect module, you will need a dealer flash to enable it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you Dave!

To summarize. I got to install:

1) the Uconnect (includes usb?)

2) The Wheel controls

Am I correct?

Do you have a link to the Uconnect kit that I should buy?
Can I then connect it to my steering Wheel keys that I buy on Amazon?

I am struggling to find a guide on Internet on how to do all this.
I really like this jeep and I'd love to put in Uconnect and connectivity package

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Honestly, you're probably better off finding another Jeep with factory Uconnect. It will be cheaper. The Uconnect kit is $368, plus $46.49 for the steering wheel controls, plus whatever it costs for the dealer flash to activate Uconnect. The Uconnect kit does not include remote usb. You can add it for another $38.70. You have a USB port on the radio.

UConnect® Hands Free Kit - High

Mopar USB Integration Cable

Don't forget, Uconnect will not work without getting the vehicle (yes, the vehicle gets flashed, not the radio) flashed to activate Uconnect.

Also, adding Uconnect does not add the Connectivity Package. There is no way to add that after the fact.

·
Registered
458 Posts
And you need to get them to flash it before you install the module. The tech told me a lot of times they have flased after someone has instaaled it and it locked the unit making it useless.

I swapped out my 130 for a 430 and added in the uconnect module. I don't have the extra steering wheel controls and it works just fine using the controls on the radio.

BTW, it costt me $100 to have the dealer do the flash

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so i buy the uconnect, flash it at a dealer, then install it. All is ~450 without steering wheel keys. Correct?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Ok so i buy the uconnect, flash it at a dealer, then install it. All is ~450 without steering wheel keys. Correct?

No. You bring the vehicle to a Jeep dealer to have it flashed. See my post above. The vehicle itself is flashed, not the radio or the Uconnect module.

Don't buy the Uconnect from a dealer. It will be priced higher than from what I linked to above.

It's $368 for the Uconnect module. The dealer flash will range in price depending on where you go. Be prepared to pay up to $150 for the flash.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am in the same boat. I just bought a 2016 Rubicon with the 430N radio & NO Uconnect. I had no choice as I got a ridiculous deal. I want the steering wheel module & bluetooth to work with my 430N.

If I understand this correction all I need to do is the following: 1) Buy steering wheel module, 2) Buy Uconnect module and 3) Have dealer flash my Wrangler?

Thanks!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am in the same boat. I just bought a 2016 Rubicon with the 430N radio & NO Uconnect. I had no choice as I got a ridiculous deal. I want the steering wheel module & bluetooth to work with my 430N.

If I understand this correction all I need to do is the following: 1) Buy steering wheel module, 2) Buy Uconnect module and 3) Have dealer flash my Wrangler?

Thanks!
By the way you're correct. Have to pass all the cables to the stearing wheel module. If you want the USB exit as the other jk that is extra but with the 430n you do not really need it cause your stereo has its own one.

·
Registered
874 Posts
i just plunked down $40 for the bluetooth steering control to swap out my Sport basic control
and all i gained was the ATT/MUTE for dimming the music. i do have the PAC installed and a Pioneer X5500BHS double din radio with voice recognition. this was a gamble for me but honestly, the buttons on that side were starting to fade and not work when cycling through the temp and MPG"S. so , not a total loss for me and an easy swap but wanted to give you guys a heads up if going this route.

·
Registered
1 Posts
By the way you're correct. Have to pass all the cables to the stearing wheel module. If you want the USB exit as the other jk that is extra but with the 430n you do not really need it cause your stereo has its own one.
To confirm, the new steering wheel module must have to connect to a cable, and it cannot just connect to the existing cable the prior switch was connected to?

You have to route a new cable from the new uConnect module through to the steering wheel? How does that not get all twisted up when you turn the steering wheel?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts