Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to add the trunk mounted subwoofer in a 2012 Jeep Wrangler unlimited? The one that goes in the floor that comes in the 13-17 models.
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Is it possible to add the trunk mounted subwoofer in a 2012 Jeep Wrangler unlimited? The one that goes in the floor that comes in the 13-17 models.
Thanks for the help!
Why yes, if you don't mind giving up the storage cubby it is completely possible.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/15-18-Jeep-Wrangler-New-Subwoofer-Speaker-Alpine-Oem-Mopar-Genuine-Sub-Woofer/352371906605?fits=Model:Wrangler&epid=1491895831&hash=item520b00982d:g:jFEAAOSw3wVafHT2:rk:1:pf:0

You'll need a 2 ohm stable amp that does around 300-400 watts RMS into that load. You'll need to tap signal for that amp. The OEM 2015 and newer Alpine sub (the oval one they put in the floor for 2015-2018 JKs) can be purchased online. It has four 2 ohm voice coils, so you would need to wire the coils series/parallel to arrive at a usable 2 ohm load for an aftermarket amplifier. If you don't know how to do the necessary steps, a decent audio shop should be able to put things right.

https://www.amazon.com/Precision-Power-ICE2600-1D-Black-Monoblock/dp/B01CYYMSJK/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1539238539&sr=1-3&keywords=precision+power+mono+amp

https://www.amazon.com/Soundstream-PN1-650D-Monoblock-Picasso-Amplifier/dp/B008L117RK/ref=sr_1_6?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1539238641&sr=1-6&refinements=p_4:Soundstream

^^ something like these will do the job without breaking the bank, but be careful, many similarly priced amps are junk

·
Registered
117 Posts
No No No...get a kicker brand sub with a hush mat that mounts right to the hatch door. Ive had 2 and the bass is amazing with little to no loss of cargo space. Wire through the strap where all the others are located.

Dont buy one of those ridiculous giant box subs or the one that mounts under the mat - its super pricey for what you get and doesnt sound as good.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
No No No...get a kicker brand sub with a hush mat that mounts right to the hatch door. Ive had 2 and the bass is amazing with little to no loss of cargo space. Wire through the strap where all the others are located.

Dont buy one of those ridiculous giant box subs or the one that mounts under the mat - its super pricey for what you get and doesnt sound as good.
Sound is objective. While the OEM sub that mounts under the mat isn't something that will move as much air as a really capable aftermarket sub, for the money it fills in the low frequencies nicely for what it is, doesn't require much power, and takes little space.

If OP doesn't have a factory amplified sound system, there is no wiring for a dedicated subwoofer to use ;).

It shouldn't be too hard for OP to listen to the OEM sub in a Jeep on the lot somewhere and decide how it performs before spending any money to upgrade his Jeep.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Baloney.
They sound great. It's the stock alpine amp they are connected to which sucks. Put them on a separate amp which you can control, and they produce pretty bloody good sound. I bypssed my Alpine and have the stock floor sub working off a new amp. It's a whole WORLD of difference.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Baloney.
They sound great. It's the stock alpine amp they are connected to which sucks. Put them on a separate amp which you can control, and they produce pretty bloody good sound. I bypssed my Alpine and have the stock floor sub working off a new amp. It's a whole WORLD of difference.
In my old XJ, I ran some pretty nice dedicated subwoofers over the years, the last two being a JL 10W6v2 and a Polk SR124, both with a clean 1000 watts behind them.

I was expecting to be disappointed after bringing my JKUs home with factory Alpine sound systems. While the oval Alpine OEM sub is no beast, it was much better than I expected considering how little room it takes up. I think it is worth having the OP go have a listen to one before going with a Kicker subwoofer. I've heard many Kicker speakers and subs in the 35 years I've been playing with aftermarket audio, and while they do certainly make some noise, I'm not a big fan of any of their products beyond amplifiers (part of that "subjective" thing I mentioned earlier).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Baloney.
How did you bypass the amp? Just wired directly to an aftermarket head unit?(asking this way because..I have an aftermarket head unit)

·
Registered
13 Posts
How did you bypass the amp? Just wired directly to an aftermarket head unit?(asking this way because..I have an aftermarket head unit)
@Bob Sanders Do you have any pictures or video of how you wired up the subwoofer? I assume you unscrewed the sub from the box, removed the tiny puny wires from the factory, connected the VC's with a bigger gauge wiring to present a 2ohm load for your amp? Did you get an aftermarket HU with a dedicated sub pre-out? Or did you use a LOC w/ factory HU?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts