Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my Hella 500 Black magic lights and had an issue with the wiring. I connected each wire to the places where they were supposed to go (I think). The diagram that it came with sucks, so I just had to try to figure it out on my own. But I was curious becuase when I flipped the switch there was a click noise coming from the relay. But no light came on. I am an amateur when it comes to wiring and knowledge like this. So if someone could help that would be very nice. pretend you are explaining this to a five year old. However the lights look cool, but are not functional waaa waaa

·
Registered
633 Posts
CHECK YOUR GROUND> I had an issue with my install ( NOT THE RELAY HOWEVER), each time it was a poor/faulty ground wire attachment. Tripple checked my ground wire attachment, and now all is well.

I also found my wiring instructions to be ....**&&^%$&^*^..... difficult to understand clearly for a novice like myself as well. They are NOT very clear IMHO.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where were the best places for the grounds. I just held them under the screws. Just curious of where the best places were.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Agreed. Check your grounds first. Your relay should have wires that run to the switch, to a ground, to the lights, and to a power source. Lights also need a ground as well as your switch. Is your switch hooked up right? It should have small numbers on the back that coordinate with proper wire terminals. Do you have a multimeter?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Where were the best places for the grounds. I just held them under the screws. Just curious of where the best places were.
There are common grounds in the engine bay that I used. They are posts that extend from the inner side of the sheet metal that have wire(s) on them tightened down by a nut. You know these are good grounds.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I must have had bad grounds then. All of the wires were set up to the switch. One was to a ground. one to the relay and one to the battery. The numbers were set up to the right spots also. I do not own a multimeter. Does anyone own a Rugged Ridge A pillar switch pod. I would like to get one to use to make it look cleaner in my jeep, but I heard reviews about it not fitting properly.

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
Well....

I must have had bad grounds then. All of the wires were set up to the switch. One was to a ground. one to the relay and one to the battery. The numbers were set up to the right spots also. I do not own a multimeter. Does anyone own a Rugged Ridge A pillar switch pod. I would like to get one to use to make it look cleaner in my jeep, but I heard reviews about it not fitting properly.
-----------------

........... get an sPOD, it will fit like a glove, and you will be ready for those "future" electrical additions to your Jeep :thumb:

·
Administrator
42,262 Posts
I had the same problem and traced it down to crossed wires. I have the A-pillar switches and when I first wired it I had crossed the wires coming from the switch to the solenoid. So far I've wired fog light and off-road lights, I have future plans for the remaining switches.
It fits well for the most part (it was a little wobbly). I ran a bead of black RTV on the left side both for stability and to keep moisture out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
I also noticed my avatar has better suspension than yours.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I bought the A pillar and switches but when I tried to install it the clips didn't line up and the bottom doesn't go down far enough so leaves a gap. Mine is sitting on the bench in my garage. I went ahead and installed a series of switches in the existing A pillar.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts