Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 tj 4cyl. Its hard to start and when it does it seems like it wants to quit. I have to tap the gas for about a second and it runs fine.
I was going to check the timing and was wondering how I would go about doing that. I have a timing light and I know where to check it, I just don't know how to adjust it.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
if it was a timing issue, it would run poorly all the time. i don't think it would run fine after tapping the gas for a second. i'd look into the TPS, AIS motor...possibly clogged fuel injectors. have you run a bottle of fuel cleaner through it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have ran A LOT of fuel cleaner through it, different brands ect.. It gets crappy gas mileage (14-16) 17 on a good day. It really struggles to start though.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Timing is electronically controlled, if your timing is off the computer is having problems.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is there any way i can adjust it from the computer? i have an apointment at a dealership this week, could they help?

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I'm not sure if there's an interface other than for scanning codes, I quit being a mechanic when they put computers in cars.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
is there any way i can adjust it from the computer? i have an apointment at a dealership this week, could they help?
You shouldn't have to adjust your timing. If you do, then you have other problems. Check the fuel filter, injectors, and check your air filter just for kicks.

If you do take it in for repair, don't take it to the dealer unless you are still under some kind of extended warranty. Because it will cost you. Try to find a smaller shop to at least take a look at it before you go to a dealer.

·
WF Graphics Bitch
544 Posts
Don't forget to check your spark plugs too ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts