Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 08 JKU Rubicon with a 3 inch lift. I want to add some adjustable control arms but I'm concerned about the driveshaft. Right now, all I want to do is correct the angle that the rear axle is at. With what I have right now, can I add the adjustable control arms and correct this angle without having to do anything drastic to my driveshaft?

·
Super Moderator
6,745 Posts
I have a 08 JKU Rubicon with a 3 inch lift. I want to add some adjustable control arms but I'm concerned about the driveshaft. Right now, all I want to do is correct the angle that the rear axle is at. With what I have right now, can I add the adjustable control arms and correct this angle without having to do anything drastic to my driveshaft?
Adjustable control arms in the rear would allow you to adjust your pinion angle, and they would allow you to move the rear axle for and aft a small amount. While both aspects are related to your drive shaft, neither should be an issue with whatever drive shaft you have now. That said, the stock drive shaft is not as sensitive to pinion angle as most aftermarket drive shafts are. The stock drive shaft can deal with poor pinion angle better than standard double carden aftermarket drive shafts.
What is it about the "angle that the rear axle is at" that is causing you concern?
What 3" lift?

·
Super Moderator
16,380 Posts
A good starting point is the install adjustable rear lowers at 5/8" longer than stock and then set the uppers so you have near 0 degrees pinion angle.

Happy driveshaft and simple setup.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The way the rear axle is sitting right now, the tire is really close to the front corner of the wheel well. If I put 35s on it, it will be touching the body of the jeep.
Just to see the height before I go out and buy a suspension lift, I put a spacer lift in there.

·
Super Moderator
6,745 Posts
The way the rear axle is sitting right now, the tire is really close to the front corner of the wheel well. If I put 35s on it, it will be touching the body of the jeep.
Just to see the height before I go out and buy a suspension lift, I put a spacer lift in there.
Then you are looking at rear arms so you can move the axle back a little. That is not a problem. And it should be fine with the stock drive shaft as long as you are only talking about an inch or so at most.
Some arms offer length options, like COre 4x4 arms offer arms that are 1" longer (for higher lifts is how they are labeled) and that would be even more geared towards moving the rear axle back.
The two things you have to watch is drive shaft length and rear sway bar. If you move it back too far you may need to address those things, longer rear drive shafts and the sell brackets that move the rear sway bar back. You also have to watch spring and shock alignment, but those aren't likely to be an issue in my experience when you are talking about only moving it back an inch or so.

Keep in mind, a real spring based 2.5" lift will typically lift higher than a 2.5" spacer lift. Sometimes as much as an inch more. Also, due to the geometry of the control arms, as you lift the axle also moves forwards. But as the suspension compresses it moves in an arc so it is traveling both up and back.
I have 37's, and when I was running a 2.5" lift I did have to trim the rock rails. But that was it, other than that they fit.
Finally, bump stop extensions play a part in the equation as well.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
It is not uncommon to trim the pinch seam on the early JK/JKUs to clear larger tires. Had to on my 13 Rubicon with a 2.5" lift and 35s. Kept the stock control arms and driveshaft.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
All good and proper advice above. The only other thing I would add is that when moving the rear diff back an inch or so it is a good idea to add spring wedges to avoid too much bow in the rear springs. I'm running the AEV 2 1/2" springs with 37s and all 8 Core 4x4 arms with the rear diff moved back just barely over 1" with the stock drive shaft with zero issues and loving it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts