Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much is too much for the springs to be curved when you have a 3.5" lift and trying to get the best pinion angle with the adjustable rear upper and lower control arms? You can't have "perfect" pinion angle without the springs arching from the body to the axle. I've got a 2014 JKUR with the Metal Cloak components (lift, adj track bar, adj control arms). I know the best fix are coil overs but that will have to come at a later time.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Buy some spring wedges to compensate for the rotation.

Reactions: IndyRubicon17

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what length (center to center) are people adjusting the lower control arms? i'm curious where i compare. i'm currently at 20-7/16" for the lower control arms. it's about an inch longer than stock.

·
Administrator
12,548 Posts
As a comparison, for my rancho 3.5" lift My rear lowers are at 20.10 and uppers at 17.35.

Reactions: stelmadl

·
Registered
224 Posts
Generally you can use the lowers to locate the axle and the uppers to set the pinion angle. The longer you make the lower, the more you'll need to watch out for interference during compression.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the control arms are per metalcloak's recommendation (about an inch longer for both upper and lower than stock), but they also say to consult a professional. i wanted to lengthen the arms a little because the rock sliders were contacting the tires sometimes. maybe they are too long and i should only lengthen what's necessary to clear the sliders? maybe go 1/2" longer....
that last picture shows how much arc is in the spring! I'm sure it wont fall out, but i dont think this looks acceptable.

·
Super Moderator
15,366 Posts
I'd definitely pull them back a bit... Those lengths are more like what we use on 5.5 or 6" lifts. For 3.5, we use 20-3/8 for the lowers and ballpark at 18-3/16 for the uppers. But the uppers is just to get close. We set the actual upper length by putting a jack under the pinion and moving the pinion angle to zero then adjust the uppers so the bolt just slides right in. If the springs seem excessively bowed, we add a coil wedge.

Reactions: stelmadl

·
Administrator
12,548 Posts
this is the 2nd metalcloak lift I have seen with springs with that much arch.. perhaps a misprint in the instructions on the CA length?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Would my 2door JK with Mopar 2in lift benefit at all from setting a better rear pinion angle? I can get TF Alpine CA's (rear upper) for a good deal right now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Would my 2door JK with Mopar 2in lift benefit at all from setting a better rear pinion angle? I can get TF Alpine CA's (rear upper) for a good deal right now.
pinion angle is typically set at ride height. If you lift it, or drop it, the angle changes at ride height. I think most people dont address it unless there's some vibration issues because the angle is too much for the universal joint. So, the larger the lift, the greater the angle. For a 2" lift, I would think that you're ok.

·
Super Moderator
15,366 Posts
A set of rear uppers is helpful on a lifted Jeep.

Jack the rear pumpkin, jackstand the rear axle, pull the tires off, put a floor jack under pinion, pull the stock rear uppers, jack the pinion to zero angle and adjust the new rear uppers so that the bolts slide right in. Tighten her up and enjoy.

·
Registered
419 Posts
my metalcloak 2.5" springs arched pretty bad as well, but I anticipated it since I read alot of people have issues with the spring hitting the new trackbar. I cut the coil perches off and rotated them and rewelded them on to solve the issue

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
my metalcloak 2.5" springs arched pretty bad as well, but I anticipated it since I read alot of people have issues with the spring hitting the new trackbar. I cut the coil perches off and rotated them and rewelded them on to solve the issue
I haven't experienced any interferences other than the track bar end hardware contacting the bump stop extensions slightly.
That is the way to go if i had the skills to do so....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I haven't experienced any interferences other than the track bar end hardware contacting the bump stop extensions slightly.
That is the way to go if i had the skills to do so....
I should probably switch the bolt and nut to gain alittle more clearance. But, if i rotate the axle/ correct the pinion angle slightly, it will gain me more clearance.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
I had the same problem when I installed TF 2.5” springs with Alpine arms. I used TF lengths and they are definitely only a starting point. My springs were hitting the track bar if I hit a good bump. I ended up going as short as I could on the uppers and set the pinion with the lowers, I also added wedges and it’s about perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
the control arms are per metalcloak's recommendation (about an inch longer for both upper and lower than stock), but they also say to consult a professional. i wanted to lengthen the arms a little because the rock sliders were contacting the tires sometimes. maybe they are too long and i should only lengthen what's necessary to clear the sliders? maybe go 1/2" longer....
that last picture shows how much arc is in the spring! I'm sure it wont fall out, but i dont think this looks acceptable.
Are you talking about the stock Rubi rails hitting the tire? Many including myself cut the rail shorter. This pic is the stock LCA with an adjustable UCA to correct the pinion angle with a MC 2.5"-3" lift and 37" tire. As mentioned wedges were used to correct the spring arch. The jeep is down completely on the bumpstop here. While it looks like the tire is hitting, there is enough clearance that I have never seen the mud rubbed off the tire. The Rubi rail has been cut about 2". Looks like I shudda cut a bit more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Are you talking about the stock Rubi rails hitting the tire? Many including myself cut the rail shorter. This pic is the stock LCA with an adjustable UCA to correct the pinion angle with a MC 2.5"-3" lift and 37" tire. As mentioned wedges were used to correct the spring arch. The jeep is down completely on the bumpstop here. While it looks like the tire is hitting, there is enough clearance that I have never seen the mud rubbed off the tire. The Rubi rail has been cut about 2". Looks like I shudda cut a bit more. View attachment 4453710
Correct. I'm running 35" BFG Mud Terrains and they just brush the plastic end caps of the stock rock rails.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts