Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Recent new YJ owner here. I purchased my first project rig (1989 4.2l automatic with tilt steering column) a few months back and have spent most of the time under the hood, but in tracking down a non-functioning horn issue I have begun untangling the rats nest of wiring that the previous owner has left under the dash (and under the hood too, to be fair).

I have a quick question about a wire that seems to have come out of a butt connector at the bottom end of the steering column. As you can see in the picture, this is a black wire running down the left side of the steering column. Inside the black casing there are 3 smaller wires, (red, blue and yellow), all of which connect together into the butt connector. The black wire then runs down to a plastic connector, where it splits into red/yellow/green/brown wiring on the other side, and runs up into the dash somewhere. The usual steering column wiring seems to be running down the bottom of the steering column as expected, and my rig cranks when I turn the key so I don't expect my mystery wire is related to the ignition/starter.

I've tracked down many an orphan amp/sub and lighting wires so far, and am thinking that this might also be an add-in that the PO wired in. I don't know much about the electrical side of a vehicle yet, and wasn't expecting to tackle this issue for a few more months, but trying to learn quickly. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
That looks like the cruise control harness. May have been dealer installed option.

For the horn button to work, the column needs to be grounded.
Not saying that's what that black wire is for, but look for a wire(black?) that grounds the column.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts