Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a black JL that I took to get the hinges repaired on the hood and on all 4 doors. (covered under warranty). They said the paint would match the rest of the vehicle. It did not. Long story short the dealer attempted to correct the issue 3 different times before repainting the entire vehicle 2 different times. It still does not look right and honestly looks like the paint job was done by someone from craigslist (orange peel all over, colors off, shine gone, etc).

Anyways, advice moving forward? Im in touch with someone at FCA (now known as stalantis or whateever), im hoping for three resolutions: 1) Car is bought back or traded for a new one. 2) significant money off/money back on the car. 3) they outsource to a professional paint body shop to get the work done right.

Anyone have experience with this or working with FCA?

·
Super Moderator
12,151 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear you are having these issues.

I went through a buyback/vehicle replacement in California in 2012.

Buybacks are tough to get approved. In my case, it was evident that the car, a 2012 Chrysler 300S, was a lemon. It was in the shop 12 times in a 3-week span for a myriad of issues*.

First I attempted to go through ChryslerCares with little result. I then got the email address of then VP of Quality at FCA, and sent him a very respectful letter explaining that I had been a loyal customer for 20+ years, and was having issues with my brand-new Chrysler. He forwarded my letter to a small team that handled cases referred to by FCA executives. Over the next 2 weeks the rep followed due dilligence —i.e., check my story, check the dealer’s story, check service records, etc., etc. I got the silk-glove treatment but still was pretty stressful, from what I recall.

In the end they offered me both: (1) a buyback or (2) have the vehicle replaced by any FCA vehicle of my choice. I took the latter: a Dodge Challenger SRT, and paid the difference.

Be aware that:
  1. Buybacks are treated differently in each state.
  2. You won’t get tax and license back; you will lose that money.
  3. Any discounts and rebates you got on the original vehicle can be transferred over to a new vehicle.
I lost the $3,500 I had paid in tax and license, but FCA honored the $1,000 in Mopar wheels I got with the car, and all $7,000 in discounts and rebates I got on the 300, and credited them towards the Challenger. Back then Challengers were hot and had no discounts.

IMHO, you may now be in an emotional place where no matter what the dealer or FCA does, you will not find full satisfaction. Which is understandable. But that also suggests attempting to repaint the Jeep at this point may not resolve the issue in your mind. So a buyback or a vehicle replacement might be the only route left at this point.

Good luck!

* It later transpired that the selling dealer had rented the car to the local Auto Show, which is legal, but subjected the car to abuse well beyond the miles shown on the odometer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Maybe the laws changed but you do now get back every penny in California

Refund / Lemon Buyback
If you purchased your vehicle and it is a “lemon,” your refund will consist of thefollowing: Monthly payments and down payment; Collateral charges, which include sales tax, finance charges, and prorated registration and service contracts; ... Payment of your loan balance.

·
Super Moderator
12,151 Posts
That has clearly changed.

I think buybacks have become more common, too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts